"I wasn't in the race...They're going younger": Idris Elba reacts to rumours of portraying next James Bond
Los Angeles, May 24
Hollywood actor Idris Elba has finally cleared the air surrounding reports of him being considered to play the next James Bond.
Over the past one decade, the actor has been speculated of being in the race as the British spy.
Speaking to People, Idris Elba, who was present for the premiere of his new film, 'Masters of the Universe', clarified that the makers have been looking for a younger actor.
"My name's not getting thrown out, no way. They're going younger. And I wish them all the luck of the world. I can't wait -- it's going to be amazing. I'm honestly not in the race ever. I wasn't in the race in the first place," he said, as quoted by People.
Earlier in 2023, the '28 Weeks Later' star reacted to the long-standing rumours.
"We're all actors and we understand that that role is one of those sort of coveted types. It's like being named Sexiest Man Alive. But being asked to be James Bond was like, 'Okay, you've sort of reached the pinnacle," he said at the time.
James Bond was last played by Daniel Craig in 2021's 'No Time To Die'. Prior to him, others who stepped in as 007 were Sean Connery, David Niven, George Lazenby, Roger Moore, Timothy Dalton, and Pierce Brosnan.
Earlier this month, Amazon MGM Studios officially begun its search for the next James Bond, auditioning actor.
Confirming the development, Amazon MGM Studios said in a statement, "The search for the next James Bond is underway. While we don't plan to comment on specific details during the casting process, we're excited to share more news with 007 fans as soon as the time is right."
According to sources familiar with the production, auditions for the role of Ian Fleming's super-spy began in recent weeks.
Speculation around the next Bond actor has intensified in recent months, with names such as Jacob Elordi, Callum Turner and Aaron Taylor-Johnson frequently linked to the role. However, the studio has not confirmed any contenders.
Last month at CinemaCon, Amazon MGM Studios head of film Courtenay Valenti addressed the future of the franchise and the studio's approach to casting the next Bond.
"We're taking the time to do this with care and deep respect," Valenti said, adding, "It is the dream of a lifetime for all of us to bring audiences this next chapter, and it's a responsibility we don't take lightly," as quoted by Variety.
— ANI
Reader Comments
Honestly, I think this is a smart move by the producers. Bond needs to evolve with the times, and a younger actor allows for a longer arc. Idris is a brilliant actor, but he's 52 now. By the time they finish a trilogy, he'd be in his 60s. Let's look forward to fresh talent! 🇬🇧
I'm not sure why everyone's so obsessed with Idris Elba for Bond. He's great in Luther, but Bond requires a certain suaveness and Britishness. I'd rather see someone like Aaron Taylor-Johnson or even a fresh face who can bring something new to the character. James Bond shouldn't be about celebrity casting.
As an Indian fan, I've always admired Bond films but wished they'd cast more diverse actors. Idris would have been a fantastic first black Bond. I hope whoever they choose brings depth and isn't just another pretty face. The action and story matter more than the actor's age. Let's see what happens! 🍿
This is honestly a relief. The rumors were getting ridiculous, and Idris handled it with such grace. I'm glad he's focusing on his own projects instead of chasing Bond. The next Bond should be a relatively unknown actor who can make the role their own, not just a celebrity stunt casting.
Come on, India's own Bond would be awesome! Imagine a desi agent with the swagger of SRK and the action of Hrithik. But jokes aside, I hope they don't make Bond too
We welcome thoughtful discussions from our readers. Please keep comments respectful and on-topic.