US tightens curbs after American citizen tests positive for Ebola
Washington, May 19
The Trump administration announced new travel restrictions and emergency measures after an American citizen tested positive for a strain of Ebola in Africa, even as officials stressed there were currently no cases inside the United States.
The announcement came during a White House event where President Donald Trump was asked whether Americans should be concerned about the outbreak.
"I'm concerned about everything," Trump said. "It's been confined right now to Africa, but it's something that has had a breakout."
Trump then invited a senior administration health official, identified during the briefing as Dr Heidi Overton, to provide details on the government's response.
Overton said the United States had launched a "full interagency response" involving the State Department, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), and the Department of War.
"There is an American that is symptomatic and has tested positive for the Bundibugyo virus, a strain of Ebola," she said.
She added that the infected American and six other high-risk contacts would be evacuated from the affected region and transferred to Germany for treatment at a specialised viral haemorrhagic fever facility.
"We want to thank our German counterparts," Overton said. "That is an internationally recognised location for viral haemorrhagic fever treatments."
The administration also announced immediate entry restrictions for non-US citizens who had recently travelled to Uganda, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Congo and South Sudan.
"We have instituted just today entry restrictions for non-US citizens that have been in the region in the past 21 days," Overton said.
She said travel warnings had already been issued for Americans in the region and stressed that authorities were taking "very serious measures" to prevent the virus from reaching the United States.
"Right now there are no cases of Ebola in America," she said. "We want to keep it that way."
The Bundibugyo strain is one of several known forms of the Ebola virus and can cause severe haemorrhagic fever in humans. Symptoms often include fever, vomiting, diarrhoea and internal bleeding. The virus spreads through direct contact with infected bodily fluids.
The White House comments came shortly after the CDC held a separate press briefing on the outbreak and ongoing containment efforts in Africa. US officials did not disclose the precise location of the infected American but said the case remained linked to the outbreak zone.
— IANS
Reader Comments
It's good that they're containing it, but I hope the US doesn't overreact with bans that disrupt travel for many. Remember how the world treated India during COVID? Let's all cooperate globally instead of pointing fingers.
The Bundibugyo strain—sounds scary, but Ebola outbreaks have been managed well in Africa before. Germany's facility is top-notch. My concern is that the US still has a lot of internal political chaos; a health crisis there could be messy.
I'm an American living in India for work, and I'm glad the US is taking precautions. But why involve the Department of War? Seems militarized. Hope they focus on public health, not just border control. Stay safe, everyone.
This is a reminder that viruses don't care about borders. India should ramp up screening at airports and educate travelers to and from Africa. Also, our health infrastructure needs strengthening—we've seen what happens when we're unprepared. 😷
Trump saying "I'm concerned about everything" is just classic vague talk. At least the health official sounded competent. But why is the US doing this after only one case? Feels like political theater. Anyway, hope the patient recovers fully.
We welcome thoughtful discussions from our readers. Please keep comments respectful and on-topic.