Fri, 22 May 2026 · LIVE
Updated May 22, 2026 · 07:15
World News Updated May 22, 2026

US Pauses $14 Billion Taiwan Arms Sale Amid Iran Conflict Munitions Concerns

The United States has paused a $14 billion arms sale to Taiwan to preserve munitions stockpiles for the Iran conflict. Acting Navy Secretary Hung Cao stated the pause ensures adequate stockpiles for Operation Epic Fury. President Donald Trump suggested the sale could be used as a bargaining chip with China. Taiwan officials urge the US to continue sales to strengthen deterrence against potential Chinese aggression.

US pauses $14 billion Taiwan arms sale to preserve munitions stockpiles for Iran conflict

Washington DC, May 22

The United States has paused a proposed USD 14 billion arms sale to Taiwan amid concerns over munitions requirements linked to the ongoing conflict with Iran, according to a report by The Hill.

Speaking during a Senate Appropriations Defense Subcommittee hearing on Thursday, Acting Navy Secretary Hung Cao said the pause was aimed at ensuring the US military maintained adequate stockpiles for "Operation Epic Fury".

"Right now we're doing a pause in order to make sure we have the munitions we need for Epic Fury -- which we have plenty," Cao told Senator Mitch McConnell, according to The Hill. "We're just making sure we have everything, but then the foreign military sales will continue when the administration deems necessary."

When McConnell asked whether the sale would eventually go ahead, Cao said the decision would rest with War Secretary Pete Hegseth and Secretary of State Marco Rubio.

"Yeah, that's what's really distressing," McConnell replied.

Cao's remarks appeared to differ from comments made earlier by US President Donald Trump, who suggested the arms sale could be used as a 'bargaining chip' in negotiations with China.

"I haven't approved it yet. We're going to see what happens," Trump told Fox News, as cited by The Hill. "I may do it; I may not do it."

After a recent visit to China, Trump said the matter had been discussed "in great detail" with Chinese President Xi Jinping and added that he would "make a determination over the next fairly short period".

The report noted that the United States has traditionally followed the "Six Assurances", a set of policy principles introduced during the administration of former President Ronald Reagan in 1982, one of which states that Washington would not consult Beijing regarding arms sales to Taiwan.

The debate comes amid growing concern over the state of US weapons stockpiles.

According to the report, the US has used thousands of missiles since the Iran conflict began on February 28, including large numbers of long-range stealth cruise missiles, Tomahawk missiles, Patriot interceptors, Precision Strike missiles and ATACMS ground-based missiles.

The White House is reportedly preparing to request between USD 80 billion and USD 100 billion in supplemental funding from Congress for the Iran conflict, with a substantial portion expected to replenish advanced weapons systems used during the 12-week war, which has remained under a tense ceasefire since early April.

Despite concerns, Hegseth dismissed suggestions that US stockpiles were under strain.

"First of all, the munitions issue has been foolishly and unhelpfully overstated," Hegseth told House appropriators last week. "We know exactly what we have. We have plenty of what we need."

Taiwanese officials, meanwhile, have urged the Trump administration to continue the arms sales programme, arguing that a stronger Taiwanese military would help deter possible Chinese aggression.

"If we want to prevent a war from happening, I think it's best that Taiwan is strong, able to defend itself, and therefore we should be able to acquire -- to buy the arms that we need to have a stronger defense," Alexander Yui, Taiwan's representative to the United States, said on Sunday.

— ANI

Reader Comments

Priya S

Interesting how the US talks about 'Six Assurances' but then pauses arms sales when it's inconvenient for them. Taiwan is just a pawn in their geopolitical chess game. China must be watching this carefully.

Vikram M

As an Indian, I find this concerning. The US is already stretched thin with Iran, and they're pausing weapons to Taiwan. What happens if there's a crisis in the Indian Ocean? We need to strengthen our own defense manufacturing, not depend on anyone else. Jai Hind 🇮🇳

Ananya R

The hypocrisy is real. US claims to support Taiwan but the moment their own stockpiles are low, they pause everything. Trump calling it a 'bargaining chip' with China is laughable. Taiwan should wake up and realize they're being used.

Rohit P

I understand the US needs to prioritize its own military readiness, but this shows how unreliable they are as a partner. India's non-alignment policy makes more sense now than ever. We should focus on self-reliance in defense like Atmanirbhar Bharat.

Kavya N

The US is overstretched with conflicts in Ukraine, Iran, and now Taiwan. This is a classic overreach. India should avoid getting dragged into these proxy wars. We have enough on our plate with China at the border. Stay neutral, stay strong.

S We welcome thoughtful discussions from our readers. Please keep comments respectful and on-topic.

Reader Voices

Leave a comment

Be kind. Add to the conversation. 0/50
Thank you — your comment has been submitted.
JS blocked