Trump says Putin agreed to one-week halt on Kyiv strikes amid extreme cold
Washington, DC, January 30
US President Donald Trump on Thursday stated that Russian President Vladimir Putin had agreed to temporarily pause strikes on Kyiv and other Ukrainian cities for a period of one week, citing extreme cold weather conditions prevailing across the region.
Addressing a Cabinet meeting, Trump said he personally reached out to the Russian leader and urged him to halt the attacks on the Ukrainian capital and nearby towns, highlighting the humanitarian impact of what he described as "extraordinary cold."
"I personally asked President Putin not to fire into Kyiv and various towns for a week, and he agreed to do that," Trump said.
Describing the development as unexpected, Trump noted that several people had advised him against making the call.
"A lot of people said, 'Don't waste the call, you're not going to get that.' And he did it," Trump added.
Trump's comments come as violence continues on the ground. Ukrainian officials on Thursday said three people were killed in an overnight Russian drone attack in the southern Zaporizhzhia region, even as President Volodymyr Zelenskyy cautioned that Russia could be gearing up for another major assault.
These developments are unfolding ahead of planned US-mediated peace talks expected to take place over the weekend.
In a parallel diplomatic move, Russia has invited Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy to Moscow for negotiations aimed at ending the nearly four-year-long conflict, Kremlin spokesperson Dmitry Peskov said on Thursday.
The proposal follows last week's first trilateral meeting involving Russia, Ukraine and the United States in Abu Dhabi.
Speaking to TASS, Peskov said Moscow is being considered as the potential venue for the discussions.
This marks the second consecutive day that senior Kremlin officials have signalled readiness to host Zelenskyy for peace talks. On Wednesday, presidential aide Yuri Ushakov said Ukraine's leader would be welcome in Moscow if he agrees to meet.
Ushakov also said Russia would ensure Zelenskyy's security and provide all necessary arrangements for the talks should he accept the invitation, according to Russia Today.
— ANI
Reader Comments
Interesting move by Trump. Direct diplomacy can sometimes work where traditional channels fail. However, the timing feels very political, right before planned peace talks. Hope this leads to a longer ceasefire and genuine negotiations. The world is watching.
One week? That's it? While any relief is welcome, this feels like a publicity stunt. The article says attacks continued in Zaporizhzhia. We need consistent peace efforts, not announcements that make one leader look good while war grinds on elsewhere. 🙏
From an Indian perspective, we understand the value of dialogue. Inviting Zelenskyy to Moscow is a significant step. But trust is completely broken. Any talks must have strong international mediation and guarantees. The suffering of common people must be the top priority.
The world's focus shifts, but the war doesn't stop. As Indians, we've seen conflict. A one-week halt is a tiny bandage on a deep wound. The international community needs to push harder for a sustainable peace plan. Energy and food security for the whole world depends on it.
Respectfully, I have to criticize the framing. The headline makes it sound like a noble act, but pausing strikes due to cold is basic humanity, not a diplomatic victory. The real story is the continued attacks in other regions and the uncertain path to peace. Let's not get distracted.
We welcome thoughtful discussions from our readers. Please keep comments respectful and on-topic.