South Korea Seeks to Reinstate No-Fly Zone with North, Ensures Military Readiness

South Korea's defense ministry announced it will push to reinstate a no-fly zone under the suspended 2018 inter-Korean military pact, ensuring the move does not compromise military readiness. The ministry is in consultations with the United States and other relevant ministries regarding the partial restoration of the pact. This initiative by President Lee Jae Myung's administration follows the pact's full suspension in 2024 under the previous government due to North Korean provocations. The move comes amid North Korean demands for South Korea to prevent civilian drone incursions, which Kim Yo-jong recently acknowledged.

Key Points: S. Korea Pushes to Restore No-Fly Zone in Inter-Korean Pact

  • Reinstating 2018 pact's no-fly zone
  • Consultations with United States underway
  • Ensuring military readiness unaffected
  • Response to North Korean demands
  • Part of efforts to prevent border clashes
2 min read

South Korea's defence ministry to push for reinstating no-fly zone near border with North Korea without affecting military readiness

South Korea's defense ministry plans to reinstate a no-fly zone under a 2018 military pact with North Korea while consulting the US to maintain readiness.

"Our military plans to come up with supplementary measures to ensure the military's readiness posture is not affected. - Chung Binna"

Seoul, Feb 19

South Korea's defence ministry said on Thursday that it will push for reinstating a no-fly zone under the suspended 2018 inter-Korean military pact in a way that does not affect a military readiness posture.

The ministry also said it is in consultations with the United States over Seoul's push to partially restore the military pact, a day after Unification Minister Chung Dong-young disclosed the government's plan, Yonhap News Agency reported.

Chung said Wednesday the government will 'preemptively' seek to reinstate the inter-Korean military pact signed in September 2018 under former liberal President Moon Jae-in as part of efforts to prevent unintended military clashes along the tensely fortified border.

"The defence ministry is in discussions with relevant ministries and the US to review partially restoring the (military) pact, including designating a no-fly zone," ministry spokesperson Chung Binna said during a regular briefing.

"Our military plans to come up with supplementary measures to ensure the military's readiness posture is not affected," she said when asked about concerns over weakened surveillance against the North if the no-fly zone is reinstated on the South's side only.

In an effort to mend ties with North Korea, President Lee Jae Myung's administration has been seeking to restore the pact, which was fully halted in June 2024 during the previous Yoon Suk Yeol administration.

The conservative government of former President Yoon suspended the pact, citing North Korea's trash-carrying balloon campaigns and the successful launch of its military spy satellite in violation of UN Security Council resolutions.

Chung's remarks came after he expressed regret earlier this month over drones sent into North Korea by South Korean civilians, which the North denounced as a violation of its sovereignty.

North Korea has repeatedly demanded South Korea come up with steps to prevent a recurrence of drone incursions, accusing Seoul of sending drones equipped with surveillance equipment in September and on January 4, prompting the South Korean government to launch an official investigation.

In a statement issued on Thursday, Kim Yo-jong, the powerful sister of North Korean leader Kim Jong-un, said she 'highly appreciates' South Korea's pledge to prevent a recurrence of drone incursions into the North while vowing to step up the country's vigilance along the border with the South.

- IANS

Share this article:

Reader Comments

P
Priya S
The part about "supplementary measures to ensure military readiness" is crucial. You can't compromise on surveillance, especially with a neighbour like North Korea. A lesson for all nations with unpredictable borders.
A
Aman W
Feels like a diplomatic tightrope walk. On one hand, you want to prevent clashes, on the other, you can't appear weak. The consultation with the US shows where the real power dynamics lie.
S
Sarah B
While the intent for peace is good, I'm skeptical. North Korea has a history of breaking agreements. South Korea must be very careful and not let goodwill compromise its safety. A no-fly zone only on one side seems risky.
V
Vikram M
The back-and-forth with the pacts being suspended and restored shows how fragile such agreements are. Reminds us that lasting peace needs trust from both sides, which is clearly missing here. A tough situation.
K
Kiran H
Kim Yo-jong "appreciating" the pledge while vowing to step up vigilance... classic doublespeak. Hope South Korean leadership is not naive. In geopolitics, sometimes being overly conciliatory can be seen as a sign of weakness. Stay strong, Seoul!

We welcome thoughtful discussions from our readers. Please keep comments respectful and on-topic.

Leave a Comment

Minimum 50 characters 0/50