Tue, 19 May 2026 · LIVE
Updated May 19, 2026 · 22:25
Middle East News Updated May 19, 2026

Trump Defends Iran Conflict: "Popular or Not, I Have to Do It" for Security

US President Donald Trump defended continuing the conflict with Iran, stating it is necessary to prevent nuclear weapons even if unpopular. He argued the decision would become popular if people understand the nuclear threat. Trump revealed he delayed a planned attack after requests from Saudi Arabia, Qatar, and UAE for diplomatic talks. His approval rating has declined to 36% since the conflict began.

"Popular or not, I have to do it": Trump on continuing Iran conflict

Washington DC, May 19

US President Donald Trump on Tuesday defended the continuation of the conflict with Iran, saying he would not allow Tehran to develop nuclear weapons, regardless of whether the decision is politically popular or not.

Speaking to reporters outside the White House, Trump stated that the decision to continue the war would become popular, considering Iran's ambition to acquire nuclear weapons.

"Look, everyone tells me it's unpopular, but I think it's very popular when you, when they hear that it's having to do with nuclear weapons, weapons that could take out Los Angeles, could take out major cities very quickly," Trump said.

Reaffirming his stance on the conflict, the US President said, "Whether it's popular or not popular, I have to do it, because I'm not going to let the world be blown up on my watch. It's not going to happen."

According to the latest CNN average, Trump's approval rating has declined since the start of the war on February 28, with 36 per cent of Americans approving of his performance.

Trump, however, maintained that preventing Iran from obtaining nuclear weapons remains a priority for his administration and framed the issue as a matter of global security.

Earlier on Monday, Trump said that he had "put off" a planned attack on Iran for a short period following "big discussions" with the Islamic Republic over the ongoing West Asia crisis.

Speaking to reporters, Trump said that Saudi Arabia, Qatar, the United Arab Emirates and some other countries had requested the US delay the action for a few days as they believed negotiations were close to yielding a deal.

"I put it (attack on Iran) off for a little while, hopefully maybe forever, but possibly for a little while because we've had very big discussions with Iran, and we'll see what they amount to. I was asked by Saudi Arabia, Qatar, UAE and some others if we could put it off for two or three days, a short period of time, because they think that they are getting very close to making a deal," he said.

"It's a very positive development, but we'll see whether or not it amounts to anything," Trump added.

He further stated that multiple countries were directly engaging with US officials and Iran in an effort to resolve the situation diplomatically.

"I was called by these three countries, plus others, and they're dealing directly with our people and right now, Iran. There seems to be a very good chance that they can work something out. If we can do that without bombing the hell out of them, I will be very happy," the US President added.

— ANI

Reader Comments

Priya S

Trump says it's about global security, but is it really? Or is it about saving face after the war started in February? 36% approval rating - says a lot about how Americans feel. India should stay far away from this mess. We have enough issues with our neighbors without getting dragged into US-Iran conflicts.

James A

As an American living in India, I'm embarrassed by this. Our president treating war like a political calculation... "Popular or not, I have to do it" - that's not leadership, that's arrogance. The Gulf states asking for delay shows even US allies are nervous. Diplomacy should be plan A, not an afterthought.

Vikram M

"Could take out Los Angeles" - fear-mongering at its finest. Iran is not a rogue state; they have been negotiating in good faith. Trump's approval rating is tanking, so he's drumming up foreign threats to distract. India has strong ties with Iran (Chabahar port, oil imports). We shouldn't let US pressure dictate our foreign policy. 😤

Ananya R

The way he talks about "bombing the hell out of them" is disgusting. Thousands of innocent civilians will die. Meanwhile, Saudi and UAE are playing mediators? They fund terrorism themselves. India should lead a peace initiative - we have credibility with both Iran and the West. This is not a game.

Michael C

As an American, I support preventing Iran from getting nukes. But Trump's approach is reckless. Negotiations with Iran were working until he pulled out of the JCPOA. Now we're back to

We welcome thoughtful discussions from our readers. Please keep comments respectful and on-topic.

Reader Voices

Leave a comment

Be kind. Add to the conversation. 0/50
Thank you — your comment has been submitted.