'Political manoeuver' with no legal basis, says Cuban President on US indictment of Raul Castro
Havana, May 21
The charges by the US government against Cuban Revolution leader Raul Castro are a "political manoeuver" with no legal basis whatsoever, Cuban President Miguel Diaz-Canel has said.
Diaz-Canel said on X on Wednesday (local time) that the charges "only reveal the arrogance and frustration of the empire's representatives in the face of the unwavering resolve of the Cuban Revolution and the unity and moral strength of its leadership."
Earlier on Wednesday, a grand jury from the US District Court for the Southern District of Florida indicted Raul Castro for his alleged role in ordering the downing of two planes operated by a Cuban exile group in the United States named "Brothers to the Rescue" in 1996.
Diaz-Canel said the indictment is intended "solely to enlarge the file they are fabricating to justify the folly of a military aggression against Cuba."
Washington "is lying and manipulating the events surrounding the downing of the small planes belonging to the narco-terrorist organization Brothers to the Rescue," he said.
The president recounted what happened on February 24, 1996, saying Cuba acted "in legitimate self-defence" within its territorial waters after members of the Miami-based group repeatedly violated the island country's airspace, reports Xinhua news agency.
Cuba issued more than a dozen warnings about the violations, "but (the US government) ignored the warnings and allowed the violations to continue," he said, adding that "documentary evidence" demonstrated that Cuba did not act "recklessly" or violate international law.
Castro, "as a guerrilla leader and statesman, won the love of his people, in addition to the respect and admiration of other leaders in the region and the world. These values are his best defence and a moral shield against the ridiculous attempt to diminish his stature as a hero," Diaz-Canel said.
Castro, 94, served as Cuba's minister of the Revolutionary Armed Forces at the time of the incident.
— IANS
Reader Comments
Honestly, I get that Cuba acted in self-defense, but the downing of civilian planes is always a tragedy. Both sides have blood on their hands—the Brothers to the Rescue group for violating airspace and Cuba for the harsh response. The US should focus on de-escalation, not more drama 25 years later.
I’m American, and this just feels like a political stunt to distract from real issues at home. The US has a long history of meddling in Latin America. Castro was a controversial figure, but dragging a 94-year-old into court feels petty and vindictive.
Dias-Canel’s statement is spot on—this is pure political maneuvering. The US has been trying to topple Cuba for decades, and this indictment is just another tool in their toolbox. Cuba has every right to defend its airspace, and the warnings they gave were more than fair. Solidarity with Cuba! 💪
I’m not taking sides, but this incident happened 28 years ago. Why now? It feels like the US is trying to stir up cold war tensions again. Cuba’s response was harsh but in context of repeated violations. The world should move on and focus on real issues like climate change and poverty.
As an Indian, I see parallels with how the US treats other sovereign nations. They always act as the world’s policeman, but when their own allies violate norms, they turn a blind eye. Cuba deserves respect for standing up to imperialism for so long. Raul Castro is a hero, not a criminal. 🇮🇳❤️
We welcome thoughtful discussions from our readers. Please keep comments respectful and on-topic.