Zelenskyy: Geneva Talks "Not Sufficient," Vows Next Meeting This Month

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy stated the outcomes of recent trilateral talks in Geneva involving the US and Russia were not sufficient, particularly on sensitive political matters and possible compromises. He announced that a subsequent meeting is planned to take place before the end of February. The talks occurred against a backdrop of a major Russian missile and drone strike, which Zelenskyy condemned as revealing Russia's true intent. The Geneva discussions are part of ongoing US-mediated international efforts to negotiate an end to the war that began in 2022.

Key Points: Zelenskyy Criticizes Geneva War Talks as Insufficient

  • Zelenskyy criticizes Geneva talks
  • Political compromises not worked through
  • Next meeting planned for February
  • Russia launched major strike before talks
  • Ukraine claims high missile interception rate
3 min read

'Outcomes of Geneva meetings not sufficient': Ukrainian President Zelenskyy

Ukrainian President says political compromises not worked through in US-mediated talks with Russia, announces next meeting for February.

"As of today, we cannot say that the outcome of the meetings in Geneva is sufficient. - Volodymyr Zelenskyy"

Kyiv, February 19

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy on Wednesday said that the outcomes of the trilateral talks with the United States and Russia in Geneva were not "sufficient."

In a video message on X, Zelenskyy said that sensitive political matters, including possible compromises to end the ongoing war, were not "sufficiently worked through."

He announced that the next meeting will take place later this month.

"As of today, we cannot say that the outcome of the meetings in Geneva is sufficient. The military representatives discussed certain issues seriously and substantively. However, sensitive political matters, issues of possible compromises, and the necessary meeting of leaders have not yet been sufficiently worked through. We are counting on the next meeting, and it would be right for it to take place still in February," the Ukrainian President said.

The Geneva talks are part of ongoing international efforts, mediated by the US, to find a negotiated settlement to the war between Ukraine and Russia, which began in February 2022. According to Al Jazeera, the Geneva discussions follow two rounds of negotiations brokered by the US, held in the United Arab Emirates in January and early February.

According to the Russian news agency TASS, Ukraine's National Security and Defence Council (NSDC) Secretary Service head Diana Davityan said that Ukraine's NSDC Secretary Rustem Umerov and head of the ruling party faction David Arakhamia participated in a closed-door meeting in Geneva with Russian Presidential aide Vladimir Medinsky and head of the Russian delegation.

Earlier on Tuesday (local time), Zelenskyy claimed Russia launched a massive strike with 29 missiles and about 400 drones before the Geneva trilateral talks began.

According to a statement by Zelenskyy, nine people, including children, were injured in the attack.

In a video message posted on X, Zelenskyy slammed Moscow, saying that the strike shows its "true intent." The Ukrainian President claimed that Kyiv shot down 25 of 29 missiles fired by Russia.

He said, "In the massive strike with which the Russians began the day, 29 missiles of various types were fired, and 25 were shot down. This is an important result for our air defence, and once again, we emphasise that air defence is a daily necessity. I thank all our partners who understand this. Russia greets with a strike even the very day new formats begin in Geneva--trilateral and bilateral with the United States. This very clearly shows what Russia wants and what it is truly intent on. Almost 400 drones were launched as well."

- ANI

Share this article:

Reader Comments

S
Sarah B
As an observer from India, the complexity is immense. While we sympathize with the human cost, India's historical ties with Russia and current geopolitical balancing act make our official position nuanced. Hope the February meeting yields something concrete for the sake of global stability.
R
Rohit P
Zelenskyy is right to call out the insufficient outcomes. How can you have serious talks when one side launches missiles on the day of the meeting? It's like trying to negotiate during an attack. The international community's pressure needs to be much stronger.
P
Priya S
The human cost is the worst part. Nine people injured, including children... it's just terrible. War solves nothing. As an Indian, our philosophy has always been 'Vasudhaiva Kutumbakam' (the world is one family). This conflict needs to end with dialogue, not more violence.
M
Michael C
While I understand the frustration, I respectfully think President Zelenskyy's public criticism right after the talks might harden positions. Sometimes quiet diplomacy behind closed doors is more effective than public statements, especially when sensitive compromises are on the table.
K
Kavya N
The fact that they are still planning to meet in February is a small positive. The line of communication is open. That's the first step. Let's hope the next round is more productive. The world economy, including India's, is suffering because of this prolonged conflict.

We welcome thoughtful discussions from our readers. Please keep comments respectful and on-topic.

Leave a Comment

Minimum 50 characters 0/50