Tue, 18 Aug 2026 · LIVE
Updated Aug 12, 2026 · 09:35
World News Updated Aug 12, 2026

North Korea Fires Another Missile Ahead of US-South Korea Drills

North Korea fired a ballistic missile toward the East Sea on Wednesday, its second such launch in under a week, as a protest against upcoming South Korea-US military exercises. The missile, detected from the Wonsan area, flew over 700 kilometers, likely involving a short-range missile like the KN-23. South Korea and US intelligence tracked the launch, while Seoul's National Security Office condemned it as a violation of UN resolutions. This marks the 11th missile launch by North Korea this year, amid heightened tensions over the Ulchi Freedom Shield drills.

North Korea conducts another missile launch ahead of key South Korea-US military drills

Seoul, Aug 12

North Korea fired a ballistic missile toward the East Sea on Wednesday, South Korea's military said, marking the second such launch in less than a week in an apparent protest against an upcoming combined military exercise between the South and the United States.

The Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS) said it detected the missile launched from the Wonsan area on the east coast at around 6 a.m.

The missile flew more than 700 kilometres, with a detailed analysis of its specifications under way by South Korean and US authorities, according to the JCS.

While the military has yet to specify the type or range of the missile, the range it provided suggests the launch likely involved a short-range missile, which typically flies 300 to 1,000 km, reports Yonhap news agency.

North Korea has the KN-23 short-range ballistic missiles, known as the North Korean version of Russia's Iskander, which has a maximum range of 700- 800 km.

The latest launch came six days after the North fired what the South's military has identified as a short-range ballistic missile toward the East Sea on Thursday.

The recent missile launches came as South Korea and the US are set to begin their key annual Ulchi Freedom Shield exercise next week.

Pyongyang has strongly denounced the allies' drills as war rehearsals and conducted its own weapons tests around the training period in a show of protest.

Unlike how the North has usually revealed its missile launches through state media the following day or so, it has not published any reports on last week's launch.

This has raised the possibility that the launch may not have succeeded or involved the test-firing of a new type of missile, or that it could have been a longer-range missile fired at a reduced range.

"It could be a repeat of last week's launch following its suspected failure and is believed to be a test-firing aimed at improving its missile capabilities," said Yang Moo-jin, a senior professor at the University of North Korean Studies.

"Given the intensifying war in Ukraine, it could also be a test to upgrade the Hwasong-11 missiles, which are designed to carry tactical nuclear warheads," Yang said.

South Korean and US intelligence authorities tracked the launch from its early stage and shared information with Japan as well, maintaining a full readiness posture through cooperation between the two countries, the JCS said.

"Under the staunch South Korea-US combined defence posture, our military is closely monitoring various North Korean activities and maintaining the capability and readiness to respond overwhelmingly to any provocation," it said.

South Korea's National Security Office (NSO) expressed concerns over continued missile launches since last week, urging Pyongyang to stop such provocations that are in violation of UN Security Council resolutions.

The NSO convened an emergency meeting with defence and military officials shortly after Wednesday's launch to assess the launch and its impact on security, and directed necessary measures, officials said.

The latest missile launch was also observed from an eastern coastal area in South Korea's Goseong county in Gangwon Province, located about 130 km in a direct distance from Wonsan.

The US Pacific Command said in a media statement that it assesses the North's recent missile launch as not posing an immediate threat to its territory and allies.

The latest launch marked the 11th such launch by North Korea this year to date.

— IANS

Reader Comments

Priya S

These missile tests create so much instability in the region. But honestly, the US and South Korea doing their own military drills right next to North Korea is also provocative. It's a never-ending cycle of "you show yours, I'll show mine." Both sides need to de-escalate.

James A

It's concerning how North Korea keeps testing these missiles in response to every exercise. The drone tech and ISR capabilities South Korea and the US have now are probably much better than what Kim Jong-un's advisers think. Classic Cold War-style posturing that could easily spiral.

Kavya N

The timing is no coincidence—just ahead of the Ulchi Freedom Shield exercise. North Korea hardly ever misses an opportunity to protest these drills. It's sad that we've seen almost zero meaningful progress on denuclearization talks since 2019. The world seems stuck in this perpetual standoff.

Suresh O

As someone who follows nuclear policy, it's striking how North Korea has normalized what would be unthinkable for any other country under UN sanctions. The lack of transparency here is terrifying—we don't even know if the launches are successful or not! Their opaqueness makes deterrence much harder to calculate.

Rahul R

Why does the international community keep applying different standards? India has conducted missile tests in the past too, but no one calls us out as aggressively as they do North Korea. Not defending their actions, but the hypocrisy in global politics is frustrating.

We welcome thoughtful discussions from our readers. Please keep comments respectful and on-topic.

Reader Voices

Leave a comment

Be kind. Add to the conversation. 0/50
Thank you — your comment has been submitted.
JS blocked