Sun, 24 May 2026 · LIVE
Updated May 24, 2026 · 14:46
India News Updated May 24, 2026

NEET-UG 2026 Accused Sent to Judicial Custody Amid Paper Leak Probe

The Rouse Avenue Court sent NEET-UG 2026 paper leak accused Shubham Khairnar to judicial custody until June 6. NTA DG Abhishek Singh briefed a Parliamentary committee on the paper leak and reform measures on May 21. The CBI is investigating the leak, which led to the exam's cancellation on May 12, with a re-examination scheduled for June 21. NEET-UG will shift to computer-based testing from next year to prevent future irregularities.

NEET-UG 2026 accused sent to judicial custody till June 6

New Delhi, May 24

The Rouse Avenue Court on Sunday sent NEET-UG 2026 paper leak accused Shubham Khairnar to judicial custody until June 6.

The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) had produced the accused before the court earlier today.

Earlier, the Director General (DG) of the National Testing Agency (NTA), Abhishek Singh, on May 21 appeared before a Parliamentary committee to provide a detailed briefing on the NEET-UG paper leak and the steps being taken to reform the examination process.

Sources said the standing committee members asked about the NEET-UG paper leak and ways to make the NTA test process more robust. They asked about the computer- based test infrastructure, frequency, duration of test and other parameters, such as NEET-UG, one of India's most important entrance examinations. shifts to computer-based testing from next year.

Speaking to ANI, Digvijaya Singh, Chairman of the Parliamentary Standing Committee on Education, Women, Children, Youth and Sports, stated that the meeting went off very well and that they received input from all the members.

Noting that all members are "very concerned" about issues discussed, such as the NTA exam, and mentioned he "can't go into details" regarding specifics at this time.

Regarding plans and when the findings would be presented, that "It depends" and concluded by saying, "let's see" when asked about the date of the next meeting.

Sources familiar with the development stated that the NTA Director General gave replies to the committee regarding the current status of investigations and future protocols.

According to sources, committee members raised sharp queries regarding the NEET-UG Paper Leak 2026 and sought clarity on measures to make the NTA's testing mechanism more robust.

According to sources, members asked about lapses and responsibility for the paper leak and officials said that a CBI probe is being conducted and will also help identify any loopholes and that efforts are being made to make the system foolproof

Meanwhile, political tensions heightened amid protests over NEET UG 2026, which was cancelled on May 12 following allegations of a coordinated paper leak. The exam, conducted on May 3 across 551 cities in India and 14 cities abroad, saw participation from over 22 lakh candidates.

The Union Education Ministry has ordered strengthened security measures for the upcoming re-examination scheduled on June 21. Officials have also indicated that NEET-UG will be conducted in computer-based test (CBT) mode from next year to prevent such irregularities.

— ANI

Reader Comments

Priya S

As a parent who's been through this NEET ordeal with my daughter last year, this is just heartbreaking. The stress these kids go through and then to have their exam cancelled because of some selfish people... 😤 Good that they're moving to CBT next year. Better late than never.

James A

While I appreciate the swift judicial action, I'm skeptical about sudden CBT transition. India's rural connectivity is poor - will students from villages have equal access to computer facilities for practice? Need to think about digital divide before fully embracing CBT.

Deepak U

Digvijaya Singh ji saying 'can't go into details' and 'let's see' - typical political dodge. 😒 The Parliamentary committee needs to push harder. This isn't just about exams, it's about the integrity of our entire education system. Where is the accountability for the NTA officials who let this happen?

Kavya N

22 lakh candidates - that's more than some countries' entire population! And yet security failed. My cousin had to travel 200km for his exam center, studied for 2 years, and now has to redo it all. The mental toll is unimaginable. Hope June 21 re-exam goes smoothly with proper security. 🙏

Michael C

Good that the accused is in custody, but we need to see systematic changes. Paper leaks have happened multiple times in India - from board exams to competitive tests. Simply shifting to CBT won't stop determined cheaters. Need biometric verification, real-time monitoring, and strict penalties. The government must treat this as a national security issue.

We welcome thoughtful discussions from our readers. Please keep comments respectful and on-topic.

Reader Voices

Leave a comment

Be kind. Add to the conversation. 0/50
Thank you — your comment has been submitted.
JS blocked