Israeli Strikes Kill 12 in Lebanon, Target Hezbollah & Hamas Command Centres

Israeli airstrikes targeted Hezbollah command centres in eastern Lebanon's Baalbek area, killing at least ten people according to Lebanese authorities. The IDF stated it eliminated operatives planning rocket attacks, while Hezbollah confirmed eight deaths, including a commander. In a separate incident, an Israeli drone strike hit the Ain al-Hilweh Palestinian refugee camp, killing two individuals identified by Hamas as members. Israel maintains these actions prevent post-ceasefire force build-up by Hezbollah and Hamas, which it accuses of violating the November 2024 truce.

Key Points: Israeli Airstrikes Kill 12 in Lebanon, Hit Hezbollah Bases

  • Strikes among deadliest since Nov 2024 ceasefire
  • IDF targeted Hezbollah missile force command centres
  • Hezbollah announces death of commander Hussein Mohammed Yaghi
  • Separate drone strike hits Hamas site in refugee camp
3 min read

At least 12 killed in Israeli strikes on Hezbollah command centres in Lebanon

Israeli strikes target Hezbollah command centres in Baalbek and a Hamas site in south Lebanon, killing at least 12 people and violating the 2024 ceasefire.

"What option do we have other than resistance? - Mahmud Qamati"

Tel Aviv, February 22

At least 10 people were reported killed and around 50 others injured in Israeli airstrikes in eastern Lebanon, Times of Israel reported, citing Lebanese authorities, after the Israel Defense Forces said it had targeted Hezbollah command centres. Two more people were reported killed in a separate strike on Hamas targets in southern Lebanon.

The strikes were among the deadliest since the November 2024 US-brokered ceasefire between Israel and Lebanon.

In a statement, the IDF said it struck three Hezbollah command centres belonging to the group's missile force in the Baalbek area of the Beqaa Valley. The military said the strikes eliminated "a large number of operatives" from Hezbollah's missile array who were allegedly working to accelerate force build-up and planning rocket fire and terror attacks against Israel.

Hezbollah later announced the deaths of eight operatives in the strikes, including Hussein Mohammed Yaghi, whom it described as a "commander," indicating a senior position within the group. Hezbollah said the men were killed "while defending Lebanon and its people during a treacherous Israeli attack on the Beqaa region."

Speaking at a protest in Beirut broadcast by Hezbollah's Al-Manar network, senior Hezbollah official Mahmud Qamati termed the strikes a "new massacre" and said the group's only option was "resistance."

"What option do we have left to defend ourselves and our country? What option do we have other than resistance?" Qamati said.

The IDF maintained that Hezbollah's missile forces were actively planning rocket and missile attacks against Israel and that their activities constituted a violation of the ceasefire understandings reached in November 2024, Times of Israel reported.

Meanwhile, Lebanese authorities said an Israeli drone strike targeted the Ain al-Hilweh Palestinian refugee camp near the southern coastal city of Sidon, killing two people. The IDF said the strike targeted a Hamas command centre where operatives were allegedly gathered to advance attacks against Israeli forces.

Lebanon's health ministry said the two killed were identified by Hamas as members of the group.

According to the IDF, the site had been used in recent months by Hamas operatives to prepare terror activities and training aimed at carrying out attacks against Israeli troops and civilians. The military also accused Hamas of embedding its infrastructure within civilian areas and using residents as human shields, adding that the activity violated the November 2024 ceasefire, Times of Israel reported.

Hamas condemned the strike on Ain al-Hilweh, rejecting Israeli claims and asserting that the targeted site belonged to the camp's Joint Security Force responsible for maintaining security.

Israel has repeatedly said it is acting to prevent Hezbollah from rebuilding its capabilities following the ceasefire that ended more than a year of hostilities. The truce followed two months of open conflict, including Israeli ground operations in southern Lebanon, aimed at halting near-daily rocket attacks that began on October 8, 2023, a day after Hamas launched its attack on southern Israel, triggering the ongoing war in Gaza.

- ANI

Share this article:

Reader Comments

P
Priya S
So many lives lost on both sides. It feels like the ceasefire was just a pause button. When will this end? My heart goes out to all the families affected. We in India know the cost of cross-border tensions all too well.
R
Rohit P
The report says Hezbollah was planning attacks. If a militant group is using your border to launch rockets, any sovereign nation would act. It's a tough situation, but Israel's actions seem pre-emptive. Hope Lebanon's government can exert more control over these non-state actors.
S
Sarah B
Reading this from Delhi. The accusation about embedding infrastructure in civilian areas is a serious one. It makes any military response incredibly complex and tragic for innocent people caught in the middle. A very sobering report.
V
Vikram M
With respect, I think the article could provide more context on the November 2024 ceasefire terms. What exactly were the "understandings"? This back-and-forth of "they violated it first" helps no one. Clarity is needed.
K
Kavya N
Baalbek is so far from the border! Strikes deep inside another country set a dangerous precedent for regional stability. This isn't just about border skirmishes anymore. The Middle East conflict seems to have no geographical limits now. Very worrying.

We welcome thoughtful discussions from our readers. Please keep comments respectful and on-topic.

Leave a Comment

Minimum 50 characters 0/50