Karnataka to begin CET counselling separately amid NEET delay concerns
Bengaluru, May 21
Karnataka will proceed with admissions to engineering and other professional programmes through the Common Entrance Test, separating the schedule from the National Eligibility cum Entrance Test meant for medical courses.
The decision was finalised in a meeting headed by Higher Education Minister Dr MC Sudhakar, prompted by delays in the NEET exam after alleged question paper leaks.
According to Dr MC Sudhakar, engineering counselling will commence once the Karnataka Examinations Authority (KEA) announces CET results. While NEET determines entry to MBBS, BDS and AYUSH courses, seats in engineering, agriculture, veterinary science, pharmacy and allied streams in Karnataka are filled based on KCET ranks.
The state said the step will prevent hold-ups in non-medical admissions due to uncertainty around the NEET calendar.
Amidst growing concerns over alleged irregularities in the NEET examination process, triggered by the recent paper leak, the Director General (DG) of the National Testing Agency (NTA), Abhishek Singh, on Thursday appeared before a Parliamentary committee to provide a detailed briefing on the NEET-UG paper leak and the steps being taken to reform the examination process.
Education Secretary Vineet Joshi was also present during the deliberations that began at 11 am and went on for about 5 hours.
Sources said the standing committee members asked about the NEET-UG paper leak and ways to make the NTA test process more robust. They asked about the computer-based test infrastructure, frequency, duration of test and other parameters, such as NEET-UG, one of India's most important entrance examinations, shifting to computer-based testing from next year.
Speaking to ANI, Digvijaya Singh, Chairman of the Parliamentary Standing Committee on Education, Women, Children, Youth and Sports, stated that the meeting went off very well and that they received input from all the members.
Noting that all members are "very concerned" about issues discussed, such as the NTA exam, and mentioned he "can't go into details" regarding specifics at this time.
Regarding future plans and when the findings would be presented, that "it depends" and concluded by saying "let's see" when asked about the date of the next meeting.
— ANI
Reader Comments
Finally some practical thinking! My brother is waiting for engineering counselling and this NEET drama was stressing him out. Hope other states also follow Karnataka's example. 🙏
But what about students who want both engineering and medical options? Now they have to prepare for two separate timelines. Not everyone can afford coaching for multiple exams. Yeh sab politics hai.
As an educator, this separation makes sense. Different exams for different streams reduces pressure on students. NTA needs urgent reform though - how can paper leaks keep happening every year?
Karnataka government taking charge while central agencies fumble. But I'm worried about the syllabus overlap - students who prepared for NEET might find KCET difficult. Hope KEA provides some bridging materials. 🤔
The real issue is NTA's incompetence! Paper leaks show how corrupt the system has become. State governments are right to distance themselves. My cousin gave up on NEET after last year's mess. Students deserve better. ✊
Pragmatic approach from Karnataka. Separating engineering from medical admissions prevents cascading delays. However, I hope the Parliamentary committee's recommendations lead to permanent
We welcome thoughtful discussions from our readers. Please keep comments respectful and on-topic.