India Condemns Pakistan's Airstrikes in Afghanistan, Cites Civilian Deaths

India has issued a strong condemnation of Pakistan's airstrikes on Afghan territory, which resulted in civilian casualties including women and children during Ramadan. The Ministry of External Affairs spokesperson called it an attempt by Pakistan to externalize its internal failures while reiterating India's support for Afghanistan's sovereignty. The Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan summoned Pakistan's ambassador in Kabul following the attacks in Nangarhar and Paktika provinces. Separate reports from a human rights foundation detail a strike that killed 16 members of a single family, with victims ranging from a one-year-old to an 80-year-old.

Key Points: India Condemns Pakistan Airstrikes on Afghan Territory

  • India condemns Pakistani airstrikes
  • Civilian casualties include women & children
  • Strikes occurred during Ramadan
  • Afghanistan summons Pakistani envoy
3 min read

India strongly condemns Pakistan's airstrikes on Afghan territory

India strongly condemns Pakistan's airstrikes in Afghanistan, which killed civilians including women and children during Ramadan.

"India strongly condemns Pakistan's airstrikes on Afghan territory that have resulted in civilian casualties. - Randhir Jaiswal"

New Delhi, February 22

Ministry of External Affairs spokesperson Randhir Jaiswal, in response to media queries regarding Pakistan's airstrikes on Afghanistan, said on Sunday that India strongly condemned Pakistan's airstrikes on Afghan territory, which resulted in civilian casualties, including women and children.

The spokesperson in an official statement said, "India strongly condemns Pakistan's airstrikes on Afghan territory that have resulted in civilian casualties, including women and children, during the holy month of Ramadan."

Jaiswal further said that it was another attempt by Pakistan to "externalise its internal failures."

The statement said," It is another attempt by Pakistan to externalise its internal failures."

Emphasising the reiteration of support of India towards Afghanistan's sovereignty, Jaiswal said," India reiterates its support for Afghanistan's sovereignty, territorial integrity and independence."

Earlier on Sunday, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan (IEA) summoned Pakistan's ambassador in Kabul in response to what it described as Pakistani "army attacks" on Afghanistan's eastern provinces of Nangarhar and Paktika.

In a post on X, the Ministry said the envoy was called in following strikes that it alleged resulted in "dozens" of casualties.

"The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the IEA summoned the Pakistani in Kabul," the statement said. "In response to the Pakistani army's attacks on Afghanistan's Nangarhar and Paktika provinces, in which dozens of fellow countrymen were martyred and wounded, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the IEA summoned the Pakistani Ambassador in Kabul."

Moreover, on Sunday, the International Human Rights Foundation (IHRF) raised an urgent alarm over verified reports of a devastating airstrike in the Behsud District of Afghanistan.

In a post on the social media platform X, the foundation stated that a Pakistani military strike targeted a civilian home, resulting in the ''massacre of at least 16 members of a single family.''

According to confirmed local sources cited by the IHRF, the victims, including men, women, and children, ranged in age from a one-year-old infant to an 80-year-old elder.

The foundation noted that this attack represents ''not just a loss of life, but the complete annihilation of a family lineage.''

While 16 family members were killed, two children miraculously survived the strike, and at least one other individual, identified as 20-year-old Riyazullah, was injured.

The deceased included 80-year-old Shahabuddin, 30-year-old Sharakat, and 40-year-old Muhmanda, alongside several other adults and multiple minors.

The IHRF emphasised the humanity of those lost, stating, ''They are not numbers; they are human beings.''

The strike in Behsud appears to be part of a broader military campaign, as Tolo News reported that Pakistani jets conducted multiple airstrikes across the Khogyani district of Nangarhar and targeted a religious seminary in the Bermal district of Paktika province.

Pakistan has reportedly conducted multiple strikes in Bermal and Argun in Paktika, as well as in Khogyani, Behsud, and Ghani Khel districts in Nangarhar since Saturday.

- ANI

Share this article:

Reader Comments

S
Sarah B
This is heartbreaking. An entire family wiped out, from a 1-year-old to an 80-year-old. No geopolitical conflict justifies this. The international community needs to do more than just issue statements.
R
Rohit P
"Externalising internal failures" – Jaiswal ji has hit the nail on the head. Pakistan's establishment has a long history of this. Strong support for Afghanistan's sovereignty is the right position.
P
Priya S
While I agree with condemning the strikes, I hope our government's concern for Afghan civilians is consistent and not just strategic posturing. Our foreign policy should always be about humanity first.
A
Aman W
The timing during Ramadan makes it even more condemnable. Innocent lives lost, families destroyed. Pakistan's actions are a threat to regional stability. India's statement was necessary and timely.
D
David E
The sheer scale is horrifying – multiple districts targeted, a religious seminary hit. This isn't a surgical strike; it's a brutal campaign. The world cannot look away.

We welcome thoughtful discussions from our readers. Please keep comments respectful and on-topic.

Leave a Comment

Minimum 50 characters 0/50