Sat, 23 May 2026 · LIVE
Updated May 23, 2026 · 12:25
Sports India News Updated May 23, 2026

FIFA World Cup 2026 Broadcast Rights in India Near Finalisation: Shaji Prabhakaran

Shaji Prabhakaran, former AIFF General Secretary, announced that negotiations for FIFA World Cup 2026 broadcast rights in India are complete. An official announcement is expected next week, ensuring the tournament will be widely accessible in the country. This comes after the Delhi High Court issued notice to the Centre and Prasar Bharati over a petition seeking free-to-air broadcast of the event. The petition highlighted that no broadcaster had acquired media rights despite FIFA reducing the valuation from USD 100 million to USD 35 million.

FIFA World Cup 2026 broadcast rights in India near finalisation: Former AIFF General Secretary Shaji Prabhakaran

New Delhi, May 23

Shaji Prabhakaran, the former All India Football Federation General Secretary, on Saturday, said that negotiations for the FIFA World Cup 2026 broadcast rights in India are complete and an official announcement is expected soon, assuring football fans in India that the tournament will be widely accessible in the country.

Taking to X, Prabhakaran said, "BIG NEWS FOR INDIAN FOOTBALL FANS! The wait is finally over. Negotiations are complete, and the official announcement for the FIFA World Cup 2026 broadcasting partner in India is expected next week! After months of uncertainty, fans can finally relax, the World Cup will be fully accessible in India. Get ready for the biggest World Cup in history!"

Prabhakaran, a visionary leader in the sports industry, is also the founder and president of the Association for Sports Industry Professionals (ASIP).

ASIP operates under the Khel India Sports Foundation (KISF), a not-for-profit organisation with the mission to promote sports at the grassroots level and empower women in sports. The organisation aims to enhance the professional growth of its members and contribute to the development of the sports industry at large.

There has been uncertainty around the accessibility of the FIFA World Cup 2026 coverage in India of late.

Earlier this month, the Delhi High Court issued notice to the Centre and Prasar Bharati on a petition seeking directions to ensure that the FIFA WC is broadcast in India, especially through free-to-air public platforms such as Doordarshan and DD Sports. Justice Purushaindra Kumar Kaurav issued notice to the respondents while hearing the writ petition filed by advocate Avdhesh Bairwa under Article 226 of the Constitution.

The petition stated that despite the FIFA World Cup 2026 being scheduled from June 11 to July 19, 2026, no broadcaster in India had acquired the media rights for the tournament till then.

The plea argued that no broadcast of the showpiece event may deprive millions of football fans across the country from watching one of the biggest sporting events in the world.

According to the plea, FIFA had initially valued the India broadcasting rights package for the 2026 and 2030 World Cups at around USD 100 million. However, due to a lack of interest from broadcasters, the value was later reduced to nearly USD 35 million. The petition claimed that even after the reduction, no final agreement had been reached till the time of the plea.

The plea also said that the FIFA World Cup had already been notified as a "sporting event of national importance" under the Sports Broadcasting Signals (Mandatory Sharing with Prasar Bharati) Act, 2007. It argued that once such a notification has been issued, the government and Prasar Bharati are under an obligation to ensure that the event is made available to the public.

However, now, Prabhakaran's remarks on the upcoming official announcement of the FIFA World Cup 2026 broadcast partner in India come as encouraging news for football fans in the country.

— ANI

Reader Comments

Vikram M

Let's see who gets the rights—hopefully someone who will show all matches live and not just the big teams. India's football culture is growing, and we deserve full coverage.

Sarah B

As a football fan in Delhi, I'm relieved. But honestly, the government should have sorted this earlier—it's a World Cup! Why always last-minute scrambles? 🤦‍♀️

Priya S

Thank you, Shaji Prabhakaran, for the update! This is a massive win for Indian football. Now if only we could get our national team to qualify... 😅 Still, hosting the world's biggest event in our screens is the next best thing.

Michael C

USD 35 million is still a lot for India—hope the broadcaster doesn't charge exorbitant rates. The petition to include Doordarshan is spot on. Football should be for everyone, not just the elite.

Ananya R

Great news! I remember watching the 2018 World Cup on TV with my family—those moments are priceless. Hope the new broadcast partner keeps the tradition alive and does justice to the tournament. 🎉

Rohit P

Honestly, the government should have made this a priority earlier. Football is huge in states like Kerala, West Bengal, Goa.

We welcome thoughtful discussions from our readers. Please keep comments respectful and on-topic.

Reader Voices

Leave a comment

Be kind. Add to the conversation. 0/50
Thank you — your comment has been submitted.
JS blocked