EAM conducts Computerised Draw of Lots for Kailash Manasarovar Yatra 2026
New Delhi, May 22
External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar on Thursday conducted the Computerised Draw of Lots for the Kailash Manasarovar Yatra 2026.
Official Spokesperson for the Ministry of External Affairs, Randhir Jaiswal, said, "EAM conducted the Computerised Draw of Lots for the Kailash Manasarovar Yatra 2026 today. Warm congratulations to the selected yatris and wishing them a fulfilling pilgrimage."
The 2026 edition of the KMY will commence in June and conclude in August. A total of 1000 Yatris have been selected through a fair, computer-generated, random, gender-balanced selection process, a statement by the MEA said.
The selected Yatris will travel in 20 batches, each consisting of 50 Yatris, through the Lipulekh and Nathu La passes. Both routes are now fully motorable and involve very little trekking. The route and batch details are available on the Yatra website.
Notifications regarding selection have been sent to shortlisted Yatris through SMS and email.
Spokesperson of the Chinese Embassy in India, Yu Jing on May 1 hailed the resumption of the Kailash Mansarovar Yatra pilgrimage.
Yu said that China would facilitate the travel for 1,000 Indian pilgrims this year. The Kailash Manasarovar Yatra is known for its religious value and cultural significance. It is undertaken by hundreds of people every year. Being significant to Hindus as the abode of Lord Shiva, it holds religious importance also for Jains and Buddhists.
In a post on X, she said, "Welcome the resumption of the pilgrimage for Indian friends to Kangrinboqe Feng and Mapam Yuco (Kailash Manasarovar Yatra) in Xizang Autonomous Region of China 2026! We are pleased to facilitate 1,000 Indian pilgrims this year. May this Yatra become a bridge of faith, friendship, and people-to-people bonds between our two great civilizations," she said in a post on X.
Earlier, on April 30, the Ministry of External Affairs said in a statement that the Yatra organised by the Ministry of External Affairs in coordination with the Government of China is set to take place during June to August 2026.
— ANI
Reader Comments
This is great, but I hope the process is truly transparent. My uncle applied last year and didn't even get an acknowledgment. Still, happy for those selected - it's a deeply spiritual experience. Hope the government ensures proper medical facilities and safety protocols at high altitudes, especially with 20 batches. 🙏
Excellent initiative by EAM Jaishankar ji. 1000 yatris is a good number. China's cooperation on this is positive - shows people-to-people ties can transcend political differences. The 3-month window (June to August) is perfect weather-wise. I wish I could go, but maybe next time! 😊
My husband's name was selected! We are overjoyed! 😭❤️ This yatra is our family's dream for generations. Thank you MEA for computerised selection - at least it's fair. Just a suggestion: could there be a waitlist in case someone cancels? Many devotees would be grateful. Jai Bholenath! 🕉️
Good to see gender-balanced selection. My sister applied and was selected - she's thrilled. But I wonder about the cost? Isn't this yatra quite expensive? Hope the government subsidizes it for lower-income devotees. Also, China's diplomatic gesture is nice, but let's not forget they block access sometimes. Still, congrats to all yatris! 🪷
Amazing! As a photographer, I'd love to cover this yatra -
We welcome thoughtful discussions from our readers. Please keep comments respectful and on-topic.