Delhi's New Atal Canteens to Serve 70,000 Affordable Meals Daily

The Delhi government has inaugurated new Atal Canteens across the national capital. Chief Minister Rekha Gupta stated the canteens will provide meals to approximately 70,000 people every day. Lieutenant Governor Vinai Kumar Saxena highlighted the Rs 5 meal price as major relief for labourers and the economically weaker sections. The initiative is described as a commitment to public welfare under the leadership of both the Delhi CM and the Prime Minister.

Key Points: Delhi Govt Launches Atal Canteens for Affordable Meals

  • 70 canteens launched across Delhi
  • Meals provided for just Rs 5
  • Aims to serve 70,000 people daily
  • Part of fulfilling Atal Bihari Vajpayee's vision
  • More canteens planned for future expansion
3 min read

Delhi govt inaugurates new Atal canteens to provide affordable meals across national capital

Delhi CM Rekha Gupta inaugurates new Atal Canteens providing meals at Rs 5, aiming to serve 70,000 people daily across the capital.

"It is a moment of joy for the people of Delhi. - Chief Minister Rekha Gupta"

New Delhi, February 19

The Delhi government on Thursday inaugurated new Atal Canteens across the national capital, which would provide meals to nearly 70,000 people on a daily basis.

Delhi Chief Minister Rekha Gupta, along with Delhi Minister Ashish Sood and Lieutenant Governor Vinai Kumar Saxena, launched the canteens aimed at providing affordable meals to residents across the city.

The Chief Minister said that the launch of new Atal Canteens marks a moment of joy for the people of the national capital, with around 70,000 people expected to receive meals daily.

She said the government is fulfilling former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee's dream and highlighted that 70 Atal Canteens have now been established across the city.

Speaking to the reporters here, CM Gupta said, "It is a moment of joy for the people of Delhi. Every day, 70 thousand people will get food at these Atal Canteens. We are fulfilling Atal ji's dream and have successfully completed one year of government in Delhi. We have established 70 Atal Canteens across Delhi. It is a great experience for us."

Delhi Lieutenant Governor (LG) Vinai Kumar Saxena said that the newly launched Canteens will provide affordable meals at just Rs 5, offering major relief to labourers and economically weaker sections.

He said that 70 canteens have been opened so far, with more planned in the future.

"One can enjoy a meal for just Rs 5, which is great. 70 canteens have been opened, with more planned for the future. This initiative will provide significant relief to labourers and the poor who do not have proper access to food facilities near their workplaces. The Delhi Government, under the leadership of Chief Minister Rekha Gupta, is working tirelessly with the mission of providing more services and facilities to the people of Delhi," Saxena told reporters.

Further, Delhi Minister Ashish Sood said that the Atal Canteen initiative reflects the government's commitment to public welfare, asserting that it is not merely a policy but a promise to serve the people of the national capital.

Sood said that under the leadership of Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Chief Minister Rekha Gupta, around 70,000 people will receive meals daily through 70 canteens, with the number expected to rise once 100 canteens become operational.

"This is our commitment, not a policy. The Atal Canteen is a living example of the facilities being provided to the people of Delhi under the leadership of PM Modi and Delhi CM Rekha Gupta. Around 70 thousand people will get meals daily, and once we open 100 canteens, the number will certainly increase. Our Urban Development Department is committed to serving the people and bringing meaningful change to their lives," he said.

- ANI

Share this article:

Reader Comments

P
Priya S
While the intent is good, I hope the quality and hygiene of the food is maintained consistently. We've seen such schemes start well and then deteriorate. Regular audits and feedback from the public are a must. Also, 70 canteens for all of Delhi still seems too few. Hope they scale up quickly.
A
Aman W
Feeding 70,000 people daily is no small feat. This is real 'antyodaya' - serving the last person in the queue. Naming it after Atal ji is fitting. Hope they expand to all major industrial areas and bus stands where migrant labourers congregate. Jai Hind!
S
Sarah B
As someone who works with an NGO in Delhi, I see the struggle for food security firsthand. This is a commendable step. I just hope the locations are chosen wisely—near construction sites, railway stations, and slum clusters where the need is greatest. Accessibility is key.
V
Vikram M
Good move. But why is the LG and CM taking credit together? Weren't they at loggerheads just last month over funds? Anyway, as long as the poor get food, it's fine. Hope the politics doesn't affect the service. The proof will be in the pudding... or the dal-roti! 😄
K
Kavya N
This is heartwarming. In a city where a cup of chai costs ₹20, a full meal for ₹5 is revolutionary. My only request: please include a vegetarian thali option that is satvik and nutritious. Many labourers are from UP and Bihar and prefer simple, home-style food.

We welcome thoughtful discussions from our readers. Please keep comments respectful and on-topic.

Leave a Comment

Minimum 50 characters 0/50