Census 2027: Gujarat Guv completes online self-enumeration process, appeals for public participation
Gandhinagar, May 18
Gujarat Governor Acharya Devvrat on Monday completed the online self-enumeration process for Census-2027 from Lok Bhavan in Gandhinagar and appealed to citizens to participate in the exercise before May 31, as the state rolled out the country's first fully digital census self-enumeration system.
The Governor used the official online platform introduced under Census-2027, which allows citizens to submit their demographic details digitally via a web portal and a mobile app.
During the programme, Director of Census Operations in Gujarat, Sujal Mayatra, met the Governor and briefed him on the technical aspects of the digital census process and its security features.
Addressing the initiative, the Governor said: "The country was rapidly moving towards a digital revolution under the leadership of Prime Minister Narendra Modi."
He emphasised that, for the first time in the country's history, the population census was being conducted entirely in a digital mode via a web portal and mobile platform, making the process "extremely simple, secure and convenient" for citizens.
"Accurate and timely information is essential for building a strong and inclusive Viksit Bharat," the Governor said, adding that active public participation alone would make the nationwide campaign successful.
Officials said the self-enumeration system had been introduced for the first time in Census-2027 to allow citizens to submit their information online from any location.
In Gujarat, the online facility will remain available on the official portal until May 31, where citizens can fill in their details according to the prescribed guidelines.
"After the completion of the online phase, house listing operations will be carried out across Gujarat from June 1 to 30 by more than one lakh census workers," officials said.
The Governor also conveyed his best wishes to the Census Department and its staff for the successful implementation of the national exercise.
Separately, Minister of State for Education, Rivaba Jadeja, joined this campaign by submitting her family details on the online portal from Gandhinagar.
Speaking on the occasion, she urged citizens to enthusiastically participate in the process before the deadline and complete the exercise from home through the digital platform.
"Public participation in the initiative would contribute towards planning for the country's development and support the building of a stronger India," she said.
— IANS
Reader Comments
Good initiative but what about rural areas? My village in Saurashtra still has patchy internet in summer. Hope they keep the manual option too for elders who can't navigate smartphones. Digital divide is real in Bharat.
As someone working in data analytics, this is a massive step forward. Real-time demographic data will help in much better policy planning. But I hope they've got robust data protection measures in place - Aadhaar leak memories are still fresh.
Did it yesterday! My 70-year-old father was skeptical but I helped him on the portal. The UI is quite intuitive, surprisingly. And Rivaba Jadeja participating shows this isn't just a photo-op - genuine administrative push. Well done! 🇮🇳
They give only until May 31? That's barely two weeks. Many families are still traveling for summer vacations. Should have kept it open till June or at least till house listing starts. Common sense, babus!
Impressed with the security features mentioned. Having worked on similar systems in Canada, this seems well-planned. But 1 lakh census workers for Gujarat alone? That's a lot of manpower for a 'digital' census. Hope it's efficient.
We welcome thoughtful discussions from our readers. Please keep comments respectful and on-topic.