Sat, 22 Aug 2026 · LIVE
Updated Aug 19, 2026 · 09:15
Cricket News Updated Aug 19, 2026

Arsenal CEO Garlick: New signings must 'change the dial' for title defence

Arsenal chief executive Richard Garlick says the club is focused on signing players who will "change the dial" as they prepare to defend their Premier League title. The Gunners have already invested £143.5 million in new signings this summer, including Piero Hincapie, Christian Tzolis and Bruno Guimaraes. Garlick acknowledged the challenge of landing elite players, noting the club is "fishing in a smaller pool of quality players" but remains open to strengthening if the right opportunity arises.

Arsenal chief executive Garlick wants to bring new signings that "change the dial"

London, August 19

As Arsenal eyes a successful Premier League title defence, the team's chief executive Richard Garlick said the club wants to sign players who would "change the dial" and help the club compete at the top level.

Arsenal, after their FA Community Shield win over Manchester City, will start their Premier League title defence against Coventry FC on August 22 at home. During the pre-season transfer window, the Gunners missed out on star Brazil and Real Madrid footballer Vinicius Junior as he signed a new deal with Spanish giants, and are also expressing interest in Atletico Madrid and Argentina striker Julian Alvarez.

On being questioned about the club being linked with elite players, Garlick said, as quoted by Sky Sports, "It is players that are going to take Arsenal forward."

"In the past we have looked at players that maybe helped build out the squad or get us to a certain level, but now we are competing right at the top level, and we do need to bring in players that are going to change the dial," he said.

He said that if they can combine some of the best young talent in the world along with the homegrown academy products, they have got every chance to maintain their success over the last two-three years and "go beyond what they have achieved".

Arsenal have so far spent 143.5 million pounds on signings, including defender Piero Hincapie, Christian Tzolis and Bruno Guimaraes.

On whether there is still money to be spent going ahead, Garlick said that the team is not going to "pat themselves in the back and say, well done, job done" and the club is open to looking at more players in the coming months. He also said that the team is fishing in a "small pool of elite players" who are going to drive the club forward, and it would be a tricky task.

"We want to move forward - the best clubs are always moving forward. You can see we have already invested in the squad this season, and if the right opportunity arises, then we will look to strengthen in all areas. The window's open for the next couple of weeks, and if there are players that are going to come in and move Arsenal forward, then we will look at that," he said.

"The standard now is high, though - the bar has been set winning the Premier League title and getting to the Champions League final. We're probably fishing in a smaller pool of quality players, and that means that it is tricky to land those players that are going to drive Arsenal forward."

"But if the right opportunity presents itself, we'll certainly be exploring it," he signed off.

— ANI

Reader Voices

Leave a comment

Be kind. Add to the conversation. 0/50
Thank you — your comment has been submitted.
JS blocked