Tue, 19 May 2026 · LIVE
Updated May 18, 2026 · 22:36
Chhattisgarh News Updated May 18, 2026

Bastar Declared Naxal-Free: Amit Shah at Cultural Event with CMs

Union Home Minister Amit Shah declared Bastar Naxal-free at the 'Bastar Ke Sang' cultural event in Jagdalpur. He was accompanied by Chhattisgarh CM Vishnu Deo Sai, Uttarakhand CM Pushkar Singh Dhami, and Madhya Pradesh CM Mohan Yadav. Shah credited security forces for achieving the goal set in January 2024 to end Naxalism by March 2026. He also announced plans for rehabilitating 3000 surrendered Naxals and developing Bastar.

Amit Shah, CMs of Chhattisgarh, Uttarakhand and MP attend 'Bastar Ke Sang' event in Jagdalpur

Bastar, May 18

Union Home Minister Amit Shah on Monday attended the 'Bastar Ke Sang' folk cultural programme at the Bastar Academy of Dance, Art and Literature in Chhattisgarh's Jagdalpur.

The Home Minister was accompanied by Chhattisgarh Chief Minister Vishnu Deo Sai, Uttarakhand Chief Minister Pushkar Singh Dhami, and Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Mohan Yadav.

The event, 'Bastar Ke Sang', aimed at showcasing and preserving the rich cultural heritage, traditional dance forms, and tribal art of the Bastar region.

Earlier today, Union Home Minister Amit Shah stated that the Bastar region is Naxal-free, saying that when a target was set at a meeting in January 2024, many felt it was not possible to achieve it.

Addressing the gathering in the Jagdalpur area of Bastar, Amit Shah said the goal has been achieved with the hard work of security forces.

"Today, we have finally arrived at the day when Bastar is Naxal-free. On January 21, 2024, we decided in a closed room to end Naxalism by March 31, 2026. We made this announcement in August 2024. At the time, many said it was not possible and that such decisions are not taken in closed rooms. Now, we have achieved our goal," he said.

"There are several innocent tribal people here whose kin were brutally killed by Naxals. DRG and CoBRA fought with Naxals with great valour", he added.

He assured trust in the speedy development of the Bastar region.

"We have a detailed plan for the 3000 surrendered Naxals so that they get employment when they join the mainstream. Naxalism has ended, and we will fulfil our vision to develop Bastar and bring it on par with other states," Shah said.

Earlier in the day, Amit Shah inaugurated the Shaheed Veer Gundadhur Seva Dera Jan Suvidha Kendra in Bastar, Chhattisgarh (ANI).

— ANI

Reader Comments

Priya S

Happy to see our cultural heritage being showcased at 'Bastar Ke Sang'. The tribal art forms of Bastar are truly unique and deserve protection. But real preservation also means giving local artists economic opportunities, not just hosting events. Let's hope this leads to sustained support for the tribal communities.

James A

As someone who's worked with development agencies in Central India, I'm cautiously optimistic. The security operations have indeed weakened Naxal strongholds, but lasting peace requires addressing root causes like land rights, forest access, and economic marginalization. The rehabilitation plan for 3000 surrendered Naxals will be the real test.

Kavya N

Great to see three CMs and the Home Minister together for Bastar! This kind of coordinated approach is what we need. The Naxal-free declaration is significant, but I hope it doesn't mean we forget about the region now. Consistent development focus is key. Proud of our security forces! 🇮🇳

Vikram M

While I appreciate the security achievements, I'm a bit skeptical. Naxalism has deep socio-economic roots. Simply declaring it 'ended' might be premature. The real challenge is ensuring tribal communities get their rightful share in development without displacement. Let's wait and watch how the rehabilitation and development plans actually unfold on ground.

Rohit P

Bahut badhiya! 🙌 Bastar finally getting the attention it deserves. The folk culture of Bastar - from Teejan Bai's Pandavani to the Dussehra celebrations - is world-class. If the government can channel this cultural wealth into tourism and local livelihoods, it'll be a win-win. Kudos to all security personnel who made this possible!

Reader Voices

Leave a comment

Be kind. Add to the conversation. 0/50
Thank you — your comment has been submitted.