2G case: Court dismisses plea to re-examine 11 witnesses
A special court hearing 2G spectrum allocation case Monday dismissed the plea of an accused seeking re-examination of 11 witnesses.
Dismissing the plea of Kusegaon Fruits and Vegetables Pvt. Ltd. director Asif Balwa for further cross-examination of the 11 witnesses, Central Bureau of Investigation Special Judge O.P. Saini also pulled up Balwa for using delaying tactics by moving frivolous applications.
The court has recently closed prosecution evidence in the case.
Taking note of 1,029 applications moved so far, including 71 by Balwa himself, the court said that such applications are delaying the trial.
"The application has been filed to keep the court busy in unnecessary work. I had to devote more than five hours to go through the entire record to dispose of the application," the court said.
It asked Balwa to desist in future from filing such frivolous applications.
The court has also dismissed the applications of Kusegaon Fruits and Vegetables Pvt. Ltd. director Rajeev Agarwal and former telecom minister A. Raja's then aide R.K. Chandolia who sought some more documents.
The judge said such applications are wasting the court's time and he is not able to devote his time in the documents, running into lakhs of pages.
Chandolia, till date, has filed 37 applications while 84 applications were moved by Agarwal.
The judge said the accused wish to force the court to disclose its mind in advance on some crucial issues one way or the other by forcing it to decide on repeated applications.
"These accused wish to drown out, sink and bury the court under the weight of documents, relevant or irrelevant, as some of them have been constantly filing such applications despite knowing the fact that entire material, relevant or irrelevant, immediate or distant relating to issues in question has already come on record," the court said.
According to the government auditor, Raja was biased while distributing 2G mobile airwaves and operating licences to telecom firms, causing a loss of up to Rs.1.76 lakh crore in revenue to the treasury. All the individual accused, including Raja, are out on bail.
(Posted on 02-12-2013)