Bhubaneswar, Sep 28 IANS | 11 months ago

An octogenarian paralytic patient suffered shock and minor injuries when a ceiling fan came crashing down and fell on his chest Saturday at a leading government hospital in Odisha, his son said.


The mishap occurred in the medicine ward of the Capital Hospital in Bhubaneswar where Padma Lochan Sahu, who was injured in the accident, was admitted three days ago.

"It suddenly fell on him as he was sleeping. Since he is unable to speak, the pain was visible in his body movements and on his face," his son Prafulla said.

The hospital staff removed the fan and conducted an X-ray scan.

"We did not find any fracture or injury. However, we have kept the patient under observation," hospital chief S.K. Mallick told IANS.

"The fan was repaired only seven days ago. It was an accident and we are very sorry for that," Mallick said.

"I have directed the concerned department to inspect all fans and electrical wiring in the hospital and carry out necessary repairs and maintenance work," Mallick said, adding that such inspections will be conducted at regular intervals to prevent the recurrence of such accidents.

Set up by the state government in 1954 on 20 acres of land in the heart of the state capital, the hospital has over 500 beds. At least 200 patients visit the hospital every day as out-patients.

(Posted on 28-09-2013)