Timeline of Delhi gang rape case
A 23-year-old physiotherapy intern raped by six people, including a juvenile, inside a moving bus.
* Dec 17: Bus driver Ram Singh and two other accused arrested.
* Dec 18: Protests over the incident, crowds clash with police in central Delhi. Fourth accused arrested.
* Dec 19: Two accused brought before a Delhi court. Accused Vinay tells court "hang me".
* Dec 21: Fifth accused, who was 17-and-half years old at the time of the crime, arrested from Anand Vihar in east Delhi while he was boarding a bus to flee to his hometown in Uttar Pradesh.
Sixth accused Akshay Kumar Singh nabbed from Bihar.
* Dec 22: Gang rape victim records statement before a sub-divisional magistrate.
* Dec 23: Fast track court set up by the Delhi High Court.
* Dec 24: The government announces setting up of a committee to suggest amendments to laws for speedy trials and enhanced punishment for criminals in rape cases.
* Dec 27: The victim airlifted to Singapore for treatment.
* Dec 29: She succumbs to her injuries at a Singapore hospital.
* Dec 30: The body of the gang rape victim flown back to Delhi, cremated.
* Jan 3, 2013: A case of rape, murder, kidnapping, destruction of evidence, and attempted murder filed against all the five accused in the case.
* Jan 7: Court orders in-camera trial.
* Jan 28: Juvenile Justice Board (JJB) declares that one of the accused is a minor.
* Feb 2: Fast track court paves the way for trial and charges five men for murder, gang rape and other offences.
* Feb 3: The Criminal Law (Amendment) Ordinance, 2013, issued. The relevant bill passed by the Lok Sabha March 19 and the Rajya Sabha March 21, making laws more stringent.
* Feb 5: Trial begins in the case and court records statements of accused.
* March 11: Accused Ram Singh found hanging in his Tihar jail cell.
* May 17: Victim's mother appears as a prosecution witness before the trial court and says "give justice to my daughter".
* June 14: Juvenile accused turns 18 in custody. Age determined based on school certificate.
* July 11: Juvenile Justice Board in New Delhi defers verdict on the minor accused to July 25.
* July 25: Juvenile Justice Board defers verdict on minor accused till Aug 5.
* Aug 22: The Supreme Court allowed the juvenile board to go ahead with pronouncing its verdict.
* Aug 31: Juvenile Justice Board sentences the minor accused to a three-year stay in a special home.
* Sep 3: Delhi court reserves its order.
* Sep 10: All the four accused Mukesh, Pawan Gupta, Vinay Sharma and Akshay Kumar Singh held guilty on all counts. Court to pronounce quantum of punishment Sep 11.
(Posted on 10-09-2013)