"How will I live knowing that the killers of my daughter are still alive?" the victim's mother told NDTV before going to the Juvenile Justice Board for the verdict.
"I request the courts, the juvenile should be punished on the basis of the crime he committed, not his age. His crime was as grave as that of the others, so why should he get less punishment?" she said.
"We don't know much about law, but we know that if the juvenile gets a lighter punishment, it will send a wrong message - it will encourage more such crimes," she said.
The Supreme Court on Aug 22 directed the Juvenile Justice Board to pass its order on the minor.
The Juvenile Justice Board on Aug 5 had deferred its verdict on the accused teenager.
If found guilty, the accused will face a maximum sentence of three years, including his custody period, as per laws.
He turned 18 in June.
Pertinently, it will be the first verdict in the case.
On July 5, the trial of the sixth accused in the Delhi gangrape case had concluded before the Juvenile Justice Board.
Four other accused in the case are being tried before a fast track court.
Another accused Ram Singh committed suicide by hanging himself in Delhi's Tihar Jail earlier this year.
On Dec 16, six people gangraped and brutalised the 23-year-old Delhi Braveheart or Nirbhaya with an iron rod on a moving bus in NewDelhi. The victim succumbed to her injuries at a Singapore hospital on Dec 29.
The incident triggered nationwide outrage against rising cases of crime against women in India with people pouring into the streets of NewDelhi for days and demanding a change of law and strict punishment of the accused.
--IBNS (Posted on 31-08-2013)