The IOA Sunday refused to incorporate the contentious IOC-proposed clause that would have barred charge-sheeted individuals from holding any post and suggested an alternative that would affect only convicted officials.
Elizalde, however, was categorical in saying that he was "not 100 percent happy".
"The sanctions against those who are chargesheeted, as proposed by the IOC, was not accepted. So I am not 100 percent happy if you go by the book," said the 81-year-old Filipino, who is also a member of the IOC ethics commission.
"If you want to destroy somebody's opportunity to run for office in sports then what you have to do is charge him with one or another. The good thing is that instead of rejecting the chargesheet clause the IOA offered an alternative. This will be referred to the IOC leadership. According to the alternative proposal, it will be left to the local ethics committee to take a call," said Elizalde.
What the IOA suggested to the IOC was those who are convicted for two years and more will not be allowed to continue in IOA and the Olympic movement. It will be in accordance with the Representation of the People Act. Matters related to corruption and criminal issues will be referred to the ethics commission, which will take a decision in 60 days and it will be referred to the executive council of the IOA.
Elizalde, who is also a member of the IOC ethics commission, remained non-committal when asked if India, who were suspended last year by the IOC, can soon return to the Olympic fold.
"I cannot commit myself. But what I can say is that chances are improving," said Elizalde, who was part of the two-member IOC delegation that took part in the meeting as observers.
The other IOC member who attended the meeting was Jerome Poivey, National Olympic Committee (NOC) relations director.
--IANS (Posted on 25-08-2013)