Mumbai, Aug 25 IBNS | 2 years ago

The Mumbai Police has finally nabbed all the five accused in the Mumbai gangrape case with the arrest of the fifth attacker from New Delhi on Sunday even as the 22-year of photojournalist subjected to the assault reportedly said she would want to go back to work since "rape is not the end of life".

The fifth accused was identified as Salim Ansari, who had managed to escape to Delhi. He has been now brought to Mumbai.

According to police, Ansari was the main accused who accosted the photojournalist along with her male colleague and charged the interns of trespassing on railway property.

Ansari on the pretext of taking the two to officials, separated them and raped the girl along with his other companions.

Investigators said he was the one who instigated his four friends to rape the 22-year-old.

The fourth accused, Kasim Bengali was also arrested on Sunday morning.

The police called him the most brutal attacker of all the five involved in the heinous crime.

Earlier, the second accused in the Mumbai gangrape case, who was arrested from a video parlour in South Mumbai on Saturday morning, had confessed to his crime, said police.

Nationwide outrage poured out on Friday after a 22-year-old photojournalist was raped by five men on Thursday evening in south Mumbai, sparking memories of the brutal gangrape of a woman in Delhi last December.

All five of the suspects were identified and their sketches were released following the arrest of Chand Babu Sattat Shaikh alias Mohammed Abdul (19), a resident of South Mumbai who is unemployed.

According to the police, the photojournalist and a male colleague, who were interning with a city publication, entered Shakti Mill in Central Mumbai at 6 p.m. on Thursday.

Two of the accused accosted them and accused the interns of trespassing on railway property and on the pretext of taking the two to officials, the accused separated them.

The young man, who had a camera, was hit with a belt and tied up while the photojournalist was dragged behind some trees 15-20 feet away.

The duo called three others and took turns to rape the woman, assaulting her and eventually knocking her unconscious.

According to the doctors attending her, the survivor remains in hospital and is recovering well from internal and external injuries.

"Rape is not the end of life; I want to get back to work," she is reported to have said to Nirmala Samant Prabhawalkar, a member of the National Commission for Women, who visited her in hospital.

The incident brought back the memories of the Dec 16 fatal gangrape in New Delhi.

On Dec 16, six people gangraped and brutalised 23-year-old Jyoti Sharma with an iron rod on a moving bus in New Delhi. The victim succumbed to her injuries at a Singapore hospital on Dec 29.

The incident triggered nationwide outrage against rising cases of crime against women in India with people pouring into the streets of New Delhi for days and demanding a change of law and strict punishment of the accused.

(Posted on 25-08-2013)