Four of family perish in Mumbai slum blaze
Four members of a cab driver's family -- his wife and three minor children -- died when a fire engulfed them while they were asleep in their hutment at Sewree, Mumbai, early Sunday.
According to BMC Disaster Control Centre, the fire broke out around 4.30 a.m. Sunday near the Powder Bandar area of Sewree.
The dead were identified as Anita V. Batra (31), daughters Laxmi (7) and Pujashri (5) and son Pradeep (1).
Pradeep was rushed to a hospital with severe burn injuries but succumbed Sunday evening, officials said.
At the time of the incident, cab driver Vikas Laxman Batra was not at home.
According to preliminary investigations, it is believed the fire started when a kerosene lamp fell down in the dwelling, knocked down presumably by rats.
(Posted on 12-01-2014)