New Delhi, Jan 11 IBNS | 6 months ago

Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal on Saturday apologised for the chaos at his first 'Janta Darbar' outside the Delhi Secretariat.


"I apologise for the chaos. The turnout was more than expected and if I would not have left the venue, there could have been a stampede," said Kejriwal.

"I assure you that next time there will be better arrangement," he said.

The first 'Janta Darbar' of the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) chief turned chaotic on Saturday and the security had to take him away at one point as many had turned up to meet him.

"It was going out of control," said Kejriwal, who had to be taken away by the security from the venue along with other ministers like Rakhi Birla and Somnath Bharti.

Kejriwal said people had come with their grievances against administration.

Though other ministers continued to meet the public, Delhi Education Minister Manish Sisodia had to leave the Janata Darbar, shortly after Kejriwal, fearing a stampede.

Reacting to the incident, former IPS officer and social activist Kiran Bedi tweeted: "Governance demands solid maturity of Governance+Administration which institutionalizes change Secretariat is meant for!Not Streets always!"

"Leadership which opts to preside over destiny of millions is for delivering with comprehensive understanding not learning at people's cost!" she posted on micro-blogging site Twitter.

Earlier in the day, Kejriwal said he will make his ministers available to address grievances of the public every Saturday morning.

"We will hold the Janta Darbar every Saturday starting today. All our ministers will be available. The people of Delhi can come up with their problems and complaints and we will try to solve them at the earliest," Kejriwal had said.

(Posted on 11-01-2014)