Gayle pulls out of South Africa's Ram Slam T20
Chris Gayle has been forced to pull out of South Africa's domestic Ram Slam T20 tournament because he would not recover in time from a torn hamstring that occurred during an ODI against India in November.
Gayle has announced that he would not be travelling to Durban but instead would focus on making a return for West Indies' regional 50-over competition, which begins at the end of January.
This is the second time Gayle has withdrawn from the South African side, Dolphins, after a similar situation two seasons ago.
"I am devastated not to be able to join up with the Sunfoil Dolphins this year," said Gaye in a statement released by Dolphins Wednesday.
"It's the second time I have been unable to play with them because of injury so it's extremely frustrating".
Gayle originally signed with Dolphins for the 2011-12 tournament but did not play a game after arriving in South Africa carrying an injury.
This time around the West Indies opener was initially expected to be out of action for up to five weeks, but has still not returned to full fitness.
"I put everything into my rehab program and really hoped I'd be given the all clear. I know how much planning had been done by Jesse Chellan and Lance Klusener which makes this even more disappointing," he said.
"I wish the guys all the best with their campaign and hopefully it's third time lucky should I have the opportunity to play for the Dolphins in the future."
Gayle took no part in West Indies' ongoing series against New Zealand and has also been ruled out of the T20 series which starts Saturday.
(Posted on 09-01-2014)