In the letter dated Jan 6, a copy of which is with IANS, the former Supreme Court judge has denied the allegations of sexually assaulting a law intern, saying the charges are "unfounded and baseless".
"I would like to affirmatively say that allegations which are appearing against me in the media both electronic and print are unfounded and baseless and I deny the same," said Ganguly in the letter addressed to state Governor M.K. Narayanan.
Ganguly drove down to the Raj Bhawan Monday evening and handed over the letter to the governor.
"The purported recommendation to the Honourable President for my removal is based on grounds, which, in my opinion, are untenable and misconceived," Ganguly said referring to the union cabinet last week clearing the home ministry's proposal for a presidential reference to the Supreme Court for a probe into the allegations.
"However, to obviate any further controversy and to ensure peace and happiness of the members of my family and having regard to the fact that I headed the high office of a judge and presently holding the post of chairman of WBHRC and being humbly of the view that I have lived up to the expectation of both, I have decided to resign from the post of chairman of the Commission with immediate effect."
Ganguly has asserted that "it is not possible" to work with "dignity and honour" as the WBHRC head in the present circumstances.
"I have no attachment to any post unless I can work with dignity and honour and I understand that it is not possible under the present situation."
"This letter may therefore be treated as notice under Section 23(1) of the Protection of Human Rights Act, 1993. However, I make it clear that I have no rancour towards any of my detractors and I wish them well in life."
"I thank you for the courtesies which you have extended to me consistently," he added.
--IANS (Posted on 07-01-2014)