world-news

San Francisco Chinese consulate arson suspect held

San Francisco, Jan 7 : A man suspected of carrying out the arson attack on the Chinese consulate in San Francisco, California, has been arrested, the US Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) announced Monday.


The 39-year-old man has permanent resident status in the US, Xinhua cited special agent David Johnson, chief of the FBI's San Francisco office, as saying at a press conference.

The suspect was arrested Friday after he turned himself in by calling police in Daly city, some 16 km south of San Francisco, according to Johnson.

The suspect is currently being held on two criminal charges, including causing damage to property of a foreign government and arson, said the special agent.

The investigators have so far been looking at the incident as a purely criminal matter, and do not believe politics or other organisations were involved.

Last Wednesday, a person got out of a mini-van parked in front of the main entrance of the Chinese consulate in San Francisco, poured two buckets of gasoline on the front door and set it alight, according to a statement posted on the website of the consulate.

Fortunately, no one was injured in the New Year's Day blaze that charred a doorway and damaged the lobby of the building.

After the press conference, the Chinese consulate in San Francisco urged the US to punish the culprit, take effective measures to protect its diplomatic institutions and staff, and prevent the recurrence of similar incidents.

--IANS (Posted on 07-01-2014)

world-news headlines

'Game of Thrones' characters' monikers trending as baby names

Moyes 'well into planning' to start Man U rebuilding job post season end

Nigerian military admit 85 out of more than 100 abducted girls still missing

Snowden unhappy over Putin's 'evasive' denial of mass surveillance in Russia

'Pee on a stick' parties latest trend among preggers

High-energy laser beam shot into clouds could make rain, lightning happen at will

Monica Lewinsky's mail ditched from latest batch of Clinton docs released online

Chromebook may soon open when close to your smartphone sans password

Important not to give political colour to inter-ethnic relations, says Kazakh President

Man City planning record 250 mln-pound swoop to bag Barca star Messi

Paramount, China Film Co sign deal to produce 3D 'Marco Polo'

Hafeez imparting young cricketers in native city with 'Skills to Shine'

Quick Links: Goa | Munnar | Pondicherry | Free Yearly Horoscope '2014

Comments

Your e-mail:


Your Full Name:


Type verification image:
verification image, type it in the box

Message:

Back to Top