Kolkata gangrape: Victim's family moves HC
The family of the Kolkata gangrape victim on Monday moved the Calcutta High Court seeking a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) probe into the case and financial compensation from the West Bengal government.
The family on Monday filed a writ petition in the high court.
Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar on Jan 2 announced a compensation of Rs 1 lakh for the Kolkata gangrape victim's family.
The Kolkata Police the same day said the 16-year-old gangrape victim was set ablaze by the accused.
According to reports, the police have appealed to the court to initiate murder charges against two of the six accused - Ratan Sil and Minta Sil - in the case.
The police said since the girl refused to withdraw her rape complaint despite threats, the accused poured kerosene on her and set her on fire.
The victim's family was tenants of Ratan and Minta.
The father of the victim, who had died in a Kolkata hospital, alleged that his daughter did not commit suicide but was set ablaze by the same men who gangraped her in October last year.
Following the girl's death, a battle between her father and the police broke over her body.
Her body was handed over to the family by the Kolkata Police on Jan 1.
She was cremated at the Neemtala Ghat crematorium here later in the evening.
The girl's death not only triggered massive protests in the city but became another hotbed for political battle.
Her father also met West Bengal Governor M K Narayanan.
The girl died at a hospital in Kolkata on Dec 31.
The victim, who was a resident of Madhyamgram in North 24 Parganas district, was allegedly gangraped by same men twice in October.
She set herself on fire on Dec 23, reports said.
The girl's father, who is a Left affiliated Centre of Indian Trade Unions (CITU) member, earlier wanted her daughter to be cremated after her body was carried in a protest procession here.
The girl's family has demanded death sentence for the culprits.
(Posted on 06-01-2014)