They are instrumental in elevating the sartorial style from blingy to classy with a range of classic saris, dresses and salwar-kameez's.
IANS picks up 10 such refreshing faces from 2013 who shunned flashy clothes, which had dominated the small screen for a long time, and impressed with their distinctive styles:
* Zoya in "Qubool Hai" played by Surbhi Jyoti: Surbhi plays Zoya, an US-based girl who comes to India in search of her father. She is an intelligent, independent and modern girl and her wardrobe reflects the fusion of traditional and modern look. It is packed with easy-going and comfortable clothes - jeans with tucked in tops and short kurtis with jackets teamed up perfectly with pumps.
Her ethnic attire, especially sharara pants with intricate embroidery work, backless blouses or intricate anarkali suits with floral scarves certainly, are likeable and imitable.
* Natasha in "Bade Acche Lagte Hain" and "Kapil ki biwi" in "Comedy Nights with Kapil" played by Sumona Chakraborty: Natasha entered "Bade Acche..." as a stylish, suave and mean fashion designer and she lives up to her image thanks to her vivacious and glamorous clothes. From sequin tops, short skirts and little black dresses to stilettos, sling bags, red lipsticks to fringe cut hairstyle - she flaunted each and every style with panache. Whatever she wore had some kind of drama, something that a Gen-next girl would aspire to flaunt.
On the other hand, her character of a nagging wife in "Comedy Nights..." flaunts saris in a glamorous avatar. The bright hues teamed with sleeveless and deep neck blouses gives the six-yard wonder an interesting twist.
* Avantika in "Pyaar Ka Dard Hai" played by Manasi Salvi: When we think about style and fashion, we usually think about modern dresses but Avantika, seen as a mother of a grown up and married son in the show, has given a glamorous twist to saris. She drapes the six-yard effortlessly with Chinese-collars or velvet blouses. Her stylish jewellery enhances her look. Must say she is one of the few small screen characters who wears saris with so much of class.
* Doctor Nidhi in "Kuch Toh Log Kahenge" played by Kritika Kamra: Like any ordinary girl, Nidhi was mostly seen in short kurta and churidaar. With minimal make-up and her straight silky locks, she stood apart. The uniqueness of her wardrobe lied in her simplicity. She accentuated her looks with minimal accessories like colourful bangles and earrings makes. She also flaunted saris which were never over the top.
* Suvreen Guggal in "Suvreen Guggal Topper of the Year" played by Smriti Kalra: The show is about a collegegoer with dreams of becoming a fashion designer. Like her character, her style represented a college girl with simple tops and worn with tight-fitting bottoms, jeans and colourful skinny trousers. The highpoint of her look was smart yet simple accessories - bangles and hair bands.
* Anushka Sarkar in "Kya Hua Tera Vaada" played by Mouli Ganguly: The actress returned to television after a long sabbatical to play the other woman in the show. As a shrewd ans chick businesswoman, she was seen in trendy formals to dresses and tracksuits. She grabbed eyeballs with every appearance.
* Gauhar Khan in "Bigg Boss Saath 7": Gauhar Khan is seen as a style icon in the "Bigg Boss 7" house. Be it floral dresses, jumpsuits or gowns; she always looks chic on the show. Her mascara, lip-gloss, blush, and eyebrow filler adds more to her look.
* Priya in "Bade Achhe Lagte Hain" played by Sakshi Tanwar: From being a teacher to wife of a business tycoon to mother of three, Sakshi's character Priya went through various stages and in each stage her simple avatar made women identified with her character. From traditional to Indo-Western outfits (jeans with hip-long tops) to saris, her every look has been loved by her fans.
* Krishna Amarnath Kapoor in "Bade Acchhe Lagte hai" played by Madhu Raja: Madhu essays protagonist Ram Kapoor's mother in the show. Her confidence, choice of saris, hairstyle and make-up makes her one of the most stylish moms on the small screen.
* Dilshad in "Qubool Hai" played by Shalini Kapoor Sagar: Dilshad plays a strong and dignified Muslim lady in the show and her costumes speak a lot about her character. She is mostly seen in stylishly cut kurtas worn with either palazzos or pant-salwar and dupatta. She accessories her looks with silver earrings and looks classy.
(Nivedita can be contacted at email@example.com)
--IANS (Posted on 25-12-2013)