"Taking cognizance of media reports, the panel was set up and a probe initiated. But once the panel discovered that A.K. Ganguly, the accused, was no more a sitting judge but had retired, the panel should have stopped the probe," Swamy told media persons here.
Swamy asked why no legal proceedings have been initiated so far in the case.
"There is so much cacophony for his removal but no FIR or complaint has been filed. It would be travesty of justice if Ganguly is removed just on the basis of allegations which have not been proved in a court of law," he said.
Meanwhile, Trinamool Congress parliamentarian Saugata Roy expressed unhappiness over Ganguly's defiance and hoped action will be taken against the former judge.
"He should have stepped down much earlier. It is regrettable that he has refused to pay heed to the public demand. But now that attorney general has given his opinion to the president on the matter, we are hoping that action would be taken soon against Ganguly," said Roy.
Accused of sexual harassment by a law intern, there has been nationwide clamour for Ganguly's removal from the rights panel following his indictment of "unwelcome behaviour" by a three-member apex court panel.
Ganguly has been evading media queries over the issue, claiming the allegations to be false.
He has also refused to quit despite political parties led by Trinamool Congress clamouring for his head.
The former judge has also got support from former Lok Sabha speaker Somnath Chatterjee among others.
While several demonstrations demanding Ganguly's removal have taken place here, an organisation fighting for men's rights Saturday took out a rally in the city showing solidarity with the former judge.
The National Coalition of Men, a forum against gender-bias laws and seeking social justice for men, took out the march outside the WBHRC demanding that Ganguly should not be removed on the basis of mere allegations.
--IANS (Posted on 21-12-2013)