Home > News > West Bengal News
Posted on Nov 06, 01:01PM | UNI
The producers of the Bengali film '3 Kanya', which went off the screen at a state-run theatre, have decided to sue the hall authorities.
"We will move the court to seek compensation for the loss of business and breach of agreement. We will also seek an injunction against screening of other films," the film's director and producer Agnidev Chatterjee said.
He said there should be no controversy involving the film, which was basically a thriller and did not have anything to tell about the infamous Park Street rape case to malign the image of the state Government.
West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee said her Government had not banned the film and alleged that a villification campaign was on to malign her Government.
"I will give you an example of how such concocted stories in which the Government has no role to play, are being spread with ulterior motive. It has been reported that the Government has banned the film. But the Government has never interfered in this issue," she posted on her official 'facebook' page.
Earlier, state Home Secretary Basudeb Banerjee had said the Government has no role behind the film being stopped at Star theatre as the hall had been leased out to a private party.
Ms Banerjee said, "For the last several months, it is becoming clear that one section of the so-called media has been raising non-issues, for their own vested interests. The sole purpose is to malign the present Government with disinformation, misinformation and concocted stories, done in collusion with political parties like CP(I)M and Congress." The film's star cast includes eminent Bengali screen actor Rituparna Sengupta. State Education Minister Bratya Basu, who is a noted stage personality, has a guest appearance in the film.
The story is about a woman who got raped by three men and received justice after a television channel highlighted the incident.