DRDO's website hacked: Antony orders probe
New Delhi, Mar. 13 : Defence Minister A.K. Antony on Wednesday called for a probe into the cyber security breach of the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO).
Talking to media here about the breach, Antony said: "Our intelligence agencies are investigating the matter."
Meanwhile, cyber law expert, Pawan Duggal, said that this kind of hacking has taken place for the very first time in the history of the country.
"The current attack that's happened on the servers, here in the DRDO is possibly the biggest kind of cyber security breach that's happened in the history of cyber security jurisprudence in our country," said Duggal.
"In fact, never ever has this kind of a big attack ever happened, never ever has this kind of servers being targeted, never ever this quantum and this quality of information being targeted and downloaded on servers located outside the territorial boundaries of India. And I think, this should be a huge wake up call for the Indian nation. We have to realise that we cannot allow this to happen," he added.
The leak was detected in the first week of March as officials from India's technical intelligence wing, National Technical Research Organisation (NTRO), working with private Indian cyber security experts cracked open a file called 'army cyber policy'. The file had been attached to hacked email accounts of senior DRDO officials that quickly spread through the system in a matter of seconds.
As Indian security experts began to track its origin they discovered, for the first time, that all the sensitive files stolen from the infected systems were being uploaded on a server in the Guangdong province of China.