Delhi girl: Minor charged with rape, murder
New Delhi, Feb 28 : The Juvenile Justice Board on Thursday framed rape and murder charges against the sixth accused, who was declared a minor last month, in connection to the Delhi gangrape case.
The Board has fixed Mar 6 for recording of evidence in the case.
The Delhi gangrape victim's father had earlier demanded death penalty for the minor accused in the case.
"The punishment should not be less even if he is a juvenile. They all deserve the same punishment. They all should be hanged," he told media.
The Juvenile Justice Board last month had declared the sixth accused in the case as a juvenile.
The accused had submitted his school certificates to prove that he is a juvenile and his school principal earlier said that the date of birth of the accused is June 4, 1995. That made him 17 years and six months old at the time of the crime.
The Juvenile Justice Board had accepted his school certificates.
Being a minor, the accused can only be tried under the Juvenile Justice Act.
The minor can be sent to a juvenile remand home for a maximum period of three years for his crime.
On Dec 16, six people gangraped and brutalised a 23-year-old girl with an iron rod on a moving bus in New Delhi. The victim succumbed to her injuries at a Singapore hospital on Dec 29.
The incident triggered nationwide outrage against rising cases of crime against women in India with people pouring into the streets of New Delhi for days and demanding a change of law and strict punishment of the accused.