Suryanelli: Govt defends PJ Kurien
New Delhi, Feb 26 : The Centre on Tuesday defended Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairman PJ Kurien in connection to the Suryanelli gangrape case and said 'no evidence' was found against him.
Parliamentary Affairs Minister Kamal Nath said the Supreme Court had earlier exonerated Kurien in the case.
"No evidence against Kurien in Suryanelli case," Nath said in the Parliament on Tuesday.
The Kerala High Court on Monday adjourned the hearing of bail pleas of 14 accused in the Suryanelli gangrape case till Mar 4.
A new bench comprising Justices KT Shankaran and ML Joseph Francis said it cannot proceed without examining the appeals and records about the case that has not been received from the Supreme Court so far.
Kurien's name is not included in the list of accused.
Kerala Chief Minister Oommen Chandy earlier rejected re-investigation into the Suryanelli gangrape case.
He said all allegations levelled against Kurien have been cleared by top courts, including the Supreme Court, of the country.
The rape victim in her letter on Jan 29 said Kurien along with other accused in the case had raped her in the Kumily panchayat guest house in Kerala.
She also filed a police complaint against Kurien on Feb 22, reports said.
The Supreme Court however had cleared the Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairman in the case.
The Suryanelli rape case is concerned with a 16-year-old girl who was raped by 42 men for 40 days in 1996 in the state.