Suryanelli: Accused bail hearing adjourned
Thiruvananthapuram, Feb 25 : The Kerala High Court on Monday adjourned the hearing of bail pleas of 14 accused in the Suryanelli gangrape case till Mar 4.
A new bench comprising Justices KT Shankaran and ML Joseph Francis said it cannot proceed without examining the appeals and records about the case that has not been received from the Supreme Court so far.
Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairman PJ Kurien's name is not included in the list of accused.
Meanwhile, the police on Monday said they have questioned more than 100 people in Kerala capital Thiruvananthapuram and nearby areas for allegedly posting obscene remarks on social networking site Facebook against a Mahila Congress leader for speaking in defence of Kurien in connection to the Suryanelli gangrape case.
Mahila Congress leader and advocate Bindu Krishna had filed the complaint on the Facebook posts.
"Some people attacked my privacy by posting this comment...it was a highly defamatory comment so I filed a complaint with the Kerala chief minister," Bindu told NDTV.
Kerala Chief Minister Oommen Chandy earlier rejected re-investigation into the Suryanelli gangrape case.
He said all allegations levelled against Kurien have been cleared by top courts, including the Supreme Court, of the country.
The rape victim in her letter on Jan 29 said Kurien along with other accused in the case had raped her in the Kumily panchayat guest house in Kerala.
She also filed a police complaint against Kurien on Feb 22, reports said.
The Supreme Court however had cleared the Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairman in the case.
The Suryanelli rape case is concerned with a 16-year-old girl who was raped by 42 men for 40 days in 1996 in the state.