India's demand for extradition of Headley, Rana continues to stand: MEA
New Delhi, Jan. 31 : The Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) on Thursday reiterated that New Delhi would continue to press the United States of America for the extradition of two key accused in 26/11 terror attacks on Mumbai, Tahawur Hussain Rana and David Coleman Headley.
Rana and Headley were sentenced to 14 and 35 years in prison respectively in connection with the terror attack in which about 166 people died and more than 300 were injured.
"Our demand for extraditions of Rana and Headley continues to stand. We wish to continue working with the United States to help us in securing access to all the accused charge-sheeted in the case, so that we can produce them before the NIA (National Investigation Agency) Court. We will exercise all the existing bilateral mechanism for this," said MEA official spokesperson Syed Akbaruddin.
"The US has been helpful so far within the limits of their own laws. They have enabled our access to Headley, as our officials have been able to spend seven days questioning him. However, we have not been able to question Rana earlier, but now as he is a sentenced prisoner, we will once again seek US support for access to him and also for further access to Headley," added Akbaruddin.
Earlier on January 25, External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid had said there is little difference between the two cases (Headley and Rana), and added that New Delhi will continue to watch these cases very closely and make legal interventions when required.