Chief Justice backs Delhi rape protests
Chief Justice of India Altamas Kabir on Monday said the public outcry over the gruesome gang-rape of a 23-year-medical medical student in Delhi last month was justified.
He also said there was an attempt by different parties with questionable motives to corrupt the movement.
Condemning the gang-rape, he stated, "As a human being, this is the most shameful thing that could have happened."
"One of my nephews' also participated...he was also there....he was also beaten up," he said.
Condemning the the undesirable turn of events where protests turned violent on some occasions, he said, "It seemed to have been hijacked and then it took an ugly turn, otherwise everything was peaceful."
"I salute everybody who have participated in that reaction that took place the first day. I wish I could have been there but I can't," remarked Kabir.
The Chief Justice has also inaugurated a fast-track court a few weeks ago, where the five men accused of raping and murdering the student will be tried.
The accused were presented before the court on Monday for pre-trial proceedings.
The judge has ordered to carry out their trial will behind closed doors, despite their lawyers being petitioning for an open trial.
The case of the sixth accused, who is reportedly a minor, is being heard by a Juvenile Justice Board here.
On Dec 16, the six accused gangraped and brutalised the 23-year-old girl with an iron rod on a moving bus. The victim succumbed to her injuries at a Singapore hospital on Dec 29.
The incident triggered nationwide outrage against rising cases of rape and brutalization of women in India with people pouring into the streets of New Delhi for days and demanding a change of law and strict punishment of the accused.