Home > News > India News

Rehman Malik non-committal on action against Hafiz Saeed

Posted on Dec 15, 10:01PM | IANS

Pakistan's Interior Minister Rehman Malik Saturday made no firm commitment about India's demand for action against 26/11 mastermind Hafiz Saeed, saying that the matter can be pursued if "substantive" evidence is given.

"If I am given substantive evidence now, he (Saeed) can be arrested," Malik, who is on a three-day visit to the country, told reporters here.

He said Saeed had been arrested on three occasions but released on court orders.

He said Pakistan's government can act against Saeed if evidence is given that can stand in court.

Earlier, during an interview with TV channel NDTV, Malik said Saeed had been bailed out thrice by the court.

"We have been prohibited to arrest him. These are the orders of the high court", Malik said.

Saeed is founder of banned militant outfit Lashkar-e-Taiba and and heads Jamaat-ud-Dawa (JuD).