Indian eatery shut down for serving filthy food
A kebab, pizza and burger takeaway in Britain's Greater Manchester, owned by three people of Indian origin, was shut down by a judge for serving mouldy onion bhajis and foul-smelling meat.
The Nile eatery in Bolton had failed to comply with hygiene standards for many years, the Daily Mail reported.
The takeaway was closed Thursday for serving food "unfit for human consumption".
It also faced complaints of an unclean floor, damaged shelves in a fridge and a freezer that did not shut properly.
Partners in the business Abid Patel, 28, Sajid Patel, 20, and Tahir Patel, 30, were fined at the Bolton Crown Court and ordered to do unpaid work.
The judge made a prohibition order preventing the Nile from being used for any food businesses after a "long history of non-compliance".
Environmental health staff repeatedly visited the takeaway. Hygiene notices were first issued in December 2010, prosecutors said.
The judge said no efforts were made to bring the eatery up to standard.
Sajid and Abid Patel were both sentenced to 150 hours of unpaid work for failing to comply with hygiene improvement notices and for serving food unfit for human consumption. Tahir Patel will carry out 120 hours of unpaid work. All three were also fined over 1,000 pounds each.