Home > News > More News
Posted on Dec 14, 06:25AM | IANS
A major fire broke out in a congested electricals and electronics market in old Delhi Thursday, fire department officials said, adding the blaze was under control now. No casualties were reported.
"The fire is under control. Our officials are on task to douse the fire completely," a fire official told IANS.
"The blaze was reported around 5.20 p.m. at Bhagirath Palace in Chandni Chowk area," Delhi Fire Service director A.K. Sharma told IANS.
As many as 22 fire tenders were rushed to the spot, and the bustling market was evacuated.
"It is too early to reveal the reason for the fire. It may be due to electrical short circuit," Sharma said.
"I was inside my shop...I ran outside on hearing the commotion and found a blaze on the second floor of the building," Ved Prakash, who owns Royal Electricals on the ground floor, told IANS.
As many as 1,400 shops are located inside the building, said an officer.
"No one got hurt in the incident. One man was trapped on the first floor, but later rescued by fire officials," said an officer.