Egypt opposition rejects Morsi's call for talks amid violent protests
Egyptian opposition leaders have rejected calls by the country's President Mohammed Morsi to enter a national dialogue, as violent protests continue outside his presidential palace.
Thousands took to the streets again and marches from different parts of the capital converged on the presidential palace in Heliopolis, now surrounded by barbed wire, tanks and scores of Republican Guardsmen.
At one section a wall had been built overnight to keep protesters at bay.
Later hundreds of protesters broke through the barricades, but the troops offered no resistance, the Guardian reports.
According to the paper, Mohamed ElBaradei, the NSF's chief co-ordinator and a Nobel laureate, called on opposition groups to shun dialogue with Morsi.
"We want a dialogue not based on an arm-twisting policy and imposing fait accompli," he said on Twitter.
George Ishak, another opposition leader, said, 'whoever has killed his own people has lost legitimacy.'
According to the paper, Egypt was plunged into crisis on 22 November when Morsi issued a controversial decree stripping the judiciary of any power to challenge presidential decisions.
Clashes between his supporters and opposition protesters on Wednesday claimed seven lives and caused 700 injuries, with the opposition holding the president directly responsible, the paper said.