Home > News > More News
Posted on Dec 07, 03:24PM | UNI
The main opposition Congress today staged a walkout in the Madhya Pradesh Assembly expressing dissatisfaction over the Government's refusal to order probe into the alleged irregularities in drinking water projects in Sagar district under the Bundelkhand package.
Replying to a calling attention notice by Mr Govind Rajput (Congress), Public Health Engineering Minister Gauri Shankar Bisen denied that inferior quality materials had been used in the works being carried out under the project.
Rejecting the member's allegation that Rs 75. 61 crore was spent for works under the projects in Sagar, he said that Rs 29.95 cr was sanctioned for the works against which Rs 25.42 cr was spent.
Mr Bisen refused that direct purchase for materials was made from contractors or firms. On the contrary, materials for the works were purchased -- through the State Small-scale Industries Corporation -- under the Madhya Pradesh Store Purchase Rules.
The Minister said that three separate teams headed by chief engineers had examined the implementation of schemes and had not found use of inferior quality materials. He said that 169 projects -- out of 350 projects under the package -- are supplying water. Of them, 107 projects had been handed over to panchayats concerned.
Meanwhile, work was under progress for 183 projects. Of them, 43 projects were completed partially and were supplying water.
However, the member demanded probe by a senior Indian Administrative Service officer into the matter.
When the minister refused, Mr Rajput announced he was staging a walk out. Other Congress members also staged a walkout along with him.