Balotelli to defy Italian court order to testify in Mafia trial
Manchester City striker Mario Balotelli is set to defy an Italian court order to testify in a Mafia trial, and the forward has been warned by Naples public prosecutor's office that he will be forcibly hauled before a judge if he fails to show up again.
Balotelli, who had earlier also missed a hearing, has previously been quizzed by police about businessman Marco Iorio, who is linked to the Naples Mafia.
The star is alleged to have been seen in the city in 2010 with Iorio and other suspects.
Balotelli has told cops he had no idea of the men's alleged crime links and there is no suggestion he was involved in any criminal activity.
But sources revealed last night he would not be attending future hearings because he was not legally required to do so and had already made a written statement.
"Balotelli will appear in court on November 20, or else on December 4 or 11. If he does not turn up we don't rule out forcibly escorting him to a hearing," the Sun quoted Naples public prosecutor's office, as saying.
However, a source close to Balotelli said last night: "Mario has only ever been wanted for questioning as a witness.
"He has already co-operated fully with the police and his legal team have made it clear he is not required by law to go to hearings, so he will not be attending on any of the dates," the source added.