Supreme Court withdraws contempt notice against Pak PM
In a huge relief to the Pakistan Prime Minister, the country's Supreme Court has withdrawn the contempt notice issued against Raja Pervez Ashraf earlier this year after he failed to approach the Swiss authorities to reopen graft cases against President Asif Ali Zardari.
A five-judge bench headed by Justice Anwar Zaheer Jamali on Wednesday withdrew the notice after the country's Law Minister Farooq Naek presented a receipt which showed that government's recent letter for the revival of the graft cases was received by the Swiss authorities on Nov 9.
"The Supreme Court of Pakistan on Wednesday dismissed the National Reconciliation Ordinance (NRO) implementation case and withdrew the contempt notice against Prime Minister Raja Pervez Ashraf," DawnNews reported.
"During the hearing, Federal Law Minister Farooq H. Naek requested the court to dismiss the case and said that the letter, written by attorney general of Pakistan and sent via diplomatic channel, had been received by Swiss attorney general," the report said.
Speaking to media, Naek said the court's decision was a victory for justice and democracy.
Naek said every directive of the Supreme Court was implemented by the government.
The Supreme Court in April had found former Pakistan Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani guilty of contempt of court for refusing to reopen corruption cases against the Zardari, but gave him only a symbolic sentence of a few minutes' detention in the courtroom.
The apex court earlier disqualified Gilani from holding his office.
Raja Pervaiz Ashraf, a 62-year-old politician and senior leader of the Pakistan People's Party (PPP), was sworn in on June 22 as the 25th Prime Minister of Pakistan.