Home > News > Andhra Pradesh News

I am a relieved man following court struck down my ban: Azhar

Posted on Nov 09, 09:22PM | UNI

Former team India Cricket Captain Mohd Azharuddin today said he is a 'relieved' man now and would not think of past after having battled against the ban for 12 years after the BCCI imposed life ban on him in the match fixing case.

The Andhra Pradesh High Court earlier in the day struck down the ban on Azhar.

Addressing a press conference here, Azharuddin said, 'I fought this battle for so long with patience. It has been a tough battle and I am grateful to everyone who has supported me during this difficult period, 'he said.

'I was extremely happy after the court's order, Azharuddin said and thanked his fans, well-wishers and family members for standing behind him in his tough times.

He said he would not take any legal action against anybody, including the BCCI which imposed life ban on him in 2000 for his alleged role in match-fixing.

'My name is cleared and I don't want to dwell upon what happened in the past. If people want to keep talking about the past I can't help them. I am happy, I have not done anything wrong and I do not have any regrets,' the 41-year-old player said, who is presently a Lok Sabha member from Moradabad constituency in Uttar Pradesh.

Asked if he had regrets not having completed 100 Test matches, stuck on 99, the wristy batsman said: 'I think I was probably destined to play 99 Test matches hence played that many.

I believe what has to happen, will happen.' The BCCI on December 5, 2000 had banned the cricketer from playing professional cricket after he was found guilty of match-fixing charges.

The Hyderabadi had challenged the Indian cricket board's decision in the city civil court, which upheld the ban. He then moved the High Court against the lower court's order, his lawyers arguing that BCCI imposed the ban without any evidence.