Newborn theft in Kolkata hospital: Police release suspect's photo, offer Rs. 1 lakh reward to find her

10 days ago | 15-03-2017 | IBNS

Kolkata, Mar 14 : Hours after a four-day-old baby boy was allegedly stolen from state government-run Calcutta Medical College and Hospital in central Kolkata, city police on Tuesday evening released the photo of a suspected woman and has announced a reward of 1,00,000 rupees to trace the lady, officials said.

We have received a CCTV footage from Kolkata Metro Rail, where it was seen that a middle-aged lady, wearing green saree and holding a baby in her lap, boarded a Kavi Subhas bound train from Central metro station, which is very close to Calcutta Medical College and Hospital, Joint CP (Crime) of Kolkata Police, Vishal Garg, told IBNS.

Besides examining the CCTV footage of all intermediate stations between Central and Kavi Subhas, we have announced a reward of 1 lakh rupees to find the woman, Garg further said.

Earlier in the afternoon, a young woman from citys Bagmari area alleged that a woman, who introduced herself as an attendant, had stolen her baby son, who was born on last Friday (Mar 10) from the hospitals Eden Building in broad daylight.

Nearly 26-year-old Saraswati Naskar, whose baby son has gone missing, told IBNS, A middle-aged woman, wearing green coloured saree, took me and my child for check up and directed me to bring a blood tests report from my bed.

Few minutes later, when I returned with blood test reports, I found neither that woman nor my baby, she further said.

Following the incident, Saraswatis family members demonstrated at the hospital and when policemen reached there, they engaged in a scuffle with the cops.

Later a heavy police force deployed to the spot to bring the situation under control.

The patient party has lodged complaint of child theft at Bowbazar Police Station nearby and before the hospital authority.

However, superintendent of Calcutta Medical College and Hospital, Shikha Banerjee, told IBNS that she had informed the state health department about the incident, while no reaction has been received from the health department officials yet.

(Reporting by Deepayan Sinha)