Ranjit Sinha controversy: Ex-CBI director says meetings with scam accused send out wrong signals
Amid the ongoing controversy over Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) director Ranjit Sinha's alleged links with 2G scam accused, former Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) Director Joginder Singh said here on Wednesday that such meetings should be avoided as far as possible because they send a wrong message among the public.
"There is no harm in meeting someone if the person is your personal friend and is not involved in any CBI case. An accused can meet the investigating officer or his supervisory officer not the director. If the accused meets to give further information than it is good then too just the representation otherwise it is not appropriate to meet an accused," said Singh.
"Meeting should totally be avoided as far as possible. There might be a possibility that nothing happened between the two, but even if nothing happened the perception of the public is formed against the investigating person or agency," Singh added.
"The director must look into his work and avoid meetings. Such meetings send a wrong message to the public, political parties, and the government. The meeting should be held at such a place which is not suspected by anyone," he added.
Singh also added that the allegations will be tested tomorrow in the Supreme Court, but such an incident is a lesson for the future that the officials avoid meeting an accused in a CBI case.
Yesterday, Bhushan had alleged in the Supreme Court that Sinha had been meeting people linked to those accused in the 2G case at his residence. His allegations will be examined by the Supreme Court on Thursday.
(Posted on 04-09-2014)